Pealing floor paint

Old 03-30-01, 09:30 AM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

Hi!

Is there a quick fix for my dilemma? I put a fresh coat of paint on my kitchen floor last fall. I took the shine off the old satin latex porch and floor paint before applying two fresh coats of satin latex porch and floor paint. Unfortunately, when ever a chair is dragged along the floor the new coats of paint peal up! I have a major on going mess happening in my kitchen that has nothing to do with my culinary skills. I used a different brand of paint than usual, could this cause pealing? I would prefer not to sand or strip the paint from the whole floor. Is there a way to reapply the paint and perhaps a sealer to stop this from happening with out turning this into a major job?

Thank you!

Daizy

Old 03-31-01, 11:23 AM
Sonnie Layne
Visiting Guest
Hello Daizy,

sounds like you have an inadequate bond between coats. This may be due to contaminates on certain areas of the floor. It could also be failing over the entire area. First you need to determine which is the case. If it appears that the entire coat is failing, there's not much to do except remove it. Before applying new paint, it's always a good idea to prime the previous coating. Primer has a greater propensity to bond than a finish coat does. If you paint over loose or poorly bonded paint, the new paint will just be "floating" over the first coat. Kinda like using plasic wrap on plastic containers. (since we're talking kitchen here) It doesn't want to stick well. Putting a second plastic wrap on will stick to the first, but won't make the first stick to the plastic container. Did I say that right??? hahaha
Hope that it's only small areas, in which case you can scrape, sand, prime and re-paint.
While there are differences in the quality of paints out there, one latex should stick to another no matter the brand.

good luck,
Sonnie

Old 04-01-01, 05:40 PM
Visiting Guest
Sonnie,

Thank you for responding to my question. After performing a scratch test the results show there is an inadequate bond between coats on the whole floor! Well, it looks like I'm going to have to remove the top two coats of paint. Can you recommend an environmentally friendly product that will easily remove the paint?

Thank you!

Daizy

Old 04-01-01, 09:59 PM
Sonnie Layne
Visiting Guest
Daizy,
try this link... was given to me by Chip. http://www.dumondchemicals.com/html/peelaway.htm
Haven't yet tried the product, but from perusing other painters sites and forums it may be a trick for you. Darn, if it were exterior I'd say just rent a washer and blow it off, but being a cook myself (we could swap recipes) I can appreciate that you wouldn't want the process messing with the other procedures going on in the Kitchen.

I've got the feeling that the bacon (read eet mor bakin) and other oils and greases settled on the floor more robustly than you'd thought. Outside of all that, I'd scrape with a TSP solution and rubber gloves. Not so toxic in any way except dermally. Hey, microdermal abrasion is popular right now, we may have founded a new thread??? If you opt for the TSP thingy, it is mixed rather strong. Can't tell you exactly how much, but I mix it 'til it stings the skin e.g. gloves. Probably 1/2 cup dry TSP to 1 gal US hot water.

I could go on forever, but the other participants are likely not interested in the details...and probably not interested in the recipes. So I'll invite you to my site. It's new, not much there but a message forum and a couple of links. If you have the time to contribute, feel free. Stop by, there are folks with many different interests monitering its progress, being I'm a person with many different interests.

Wish I could do better by you, but I'd be wary of trying anything else, except of course if the experts here on this panel have something to add. I would be greatfully grateful for the input.

come see me
http://www.sonnielayne.com

Sonnie
Sonnie C Layne Services
Dallas

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: