painting interior trim that MIGHT be acrylic or oil based. what to do?

Old 05-23-15, 09:16 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
painting interior trim that MIGHT be acrylic or oil based. what to do?

relatively new home owner here. so this may be a "dumb question of the day" nominee.

but I want to re-paint the trim in a couple bedrooms and bathrooms. quarter round, baseboard, door trim.....that kind of stuff.

when I have done in the past, I just got some plain-Jane white semi-gloss water-based trim paint. latex...and away we go. but this house....the paint looks different. almost "thicker." and although the prior owner left a lot of paint, I only see one (very, very old) white paint. its an acrylic trim paint.

can I paint my normal white semi gloss latex over what is already there? will it cover it and look ok? does it matter? do I need to figure out if its an oil-based or acrylic. and if so, how do I do that?

thanks for any help here. enjoy the weekend!!!

Old 05-23-15, 09:36 AM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Marksr will have the definitive answer but I would try some of my preferred paint in a closet where it wouldn't be really obvious if it were not compatible.

And no, it is not a "dumb" question at all.

Old 05-23-15, 10:01 AM
T
I should have mentioned...when I am repainting....I am not changing the color. just gonna do white again. they needed repainted because of some stains and such...didn't wipe off.

Old 05-23-15, 03:50 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
Latex enamel won't adhere well to oil base enamel. To make the switch you'd need to first apply a solvent based primer. It's fairly easy to test and see what type of enamel is currently on the woodwork - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/pa...latex-oil.html

Old 05-24-15, 07:33 AM
T
so my follow on question is....how do I tell for sure what's already there? I don't have to switch to my normal common white semi-gloss latex. its just what I have always used. if I know for sure this is oil-based, I can do that. someone said something on another site about taking a Q-tip with rubbing alcohol and testing the current paint. ever heard of that?

Old 05-24-15, 11:51 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
Did you read the link? As far as I know rubbing alcohol won't work but denatured alcohol will dissolve latex paints and is a common method for testing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: