paint on shower stall wall gets pulled off if shower curtain bar is moved

Old 05-29-15, 01:47 PM
D
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
paint on shower stall wall gets pulled off if shower curtain bar is moved

The photo shows what happens. I made 2 or 3 attempts to repaint the spot but the problem reoccurs. The walls at the top of the stall were originally painted with latex paint of a different color. Later, wallpaper was applied there. And then, later, the wallpaper was removed and the walls were primed and painted with latex paint. Any suggestions?

Name:  showerCurtainRod.jpg
Views: 2495
Size:  10.4 KB

Old 05-29-15, 01:52 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
What brand/line of latex paint did you use? How long was the paint allowed to cure before the shower curtain rod was put up?

Old 05-29-15, 02:04 PM
D
I did that painting quite some time ago so I am not absolutely sure about the facts, particularly regarding priming. The topcoat product was Olympic Premium Semi-gloss Kitchen & Bath Enamel.

If I recall correctly, I applied a coat of tinted Zinsser Bulls Eye 123 Water-Base primer before painting.

I waited at least 24 hours before installing the shower curtain rod. And, I believe I waited longer on a subsequent attempt.

I have some alkyd primer I could try.

Old 05-29-15, 02:10 PM
D
The paint was Olympic Premium Kitchen & Bath Enamel (semi-gloss). If I recall correctly, I applied a coat of tinted Zinsser Bulls Eye 123 water-base primer before the topcoat.

And, as I recall, I waited at least 24 hours after priming to apply the topcoat.

I have some alkyd primer I could try.

Old 05-29-15, 02:10 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm not real familiar with Olympic's paint line but many of the cheaper latex enamels never dry to a hard film like oil base enamels do. Is the primer coming off too? The primer shouldn't be affected unless the substrate wasn't sanded or clean prior to the primer's application.

Old 05-29-15, 02:18 PM
D
Yes, the primer also came off. The color shown right above the end of the curtain rod is the former/original color. Perhaps I should try the alkyd primer I mentioned. It was purchased for a kitchen project subsequent to the bathroom project.

Old 05-29-15, 02:19 PM
Received 341 Votes on 307 Posts
Because that is a tension rod type of shower curtain I don't thing you will total eliminate the problem with the type of paint. You have friction pulling on the surface. Try putting a small round (a round-to-it) type of rubber between the pole and the wall. If you go to a hardware store and look for pads to put under things like furniture or something like that.

Old 05-29-15, 02:19 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
How old is the house? do you know if the underlying enamel is oil based?

Some of the cheaper latex enamels will still stick if those pads are used I don't know whether or not Olympic latex enamel is a quality enamel.

Old 05-29-15, 02:39 PM
D
The house is about 25 years old. The original paint was not oil based, and it appears to still be holding since the color that shows when the blue paint comes off is the original color.

I still think the alkyd primer I mentioned is worth a try. I could do some sanding at the spots on both walls where the paint has come off, apply the alkyd primer, and then apply the Olympic paint and see what happens.

As a last resort, I could buy some oil-based paint but a lot of it would go to waste if I do not find some other use for it.

Old 05-29-15, 02:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 899 Votes on 825 Posts
IMO I would pitch that curtain rod in the trash and put one up that has endcaps. (similar to below)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]51271[/ATTACH]

image credit: menards dot com

Probably cheaper than a quart of primer and a gallon of paint. Plus it would cover up your bare spot and you wouldn't have to paint.

Attached Images  
Old 05-29-15, 03:03 PM
D
Thanks XSleeper. Don't know why I never thought of that. If I try covering those spots again with the alkyd primer I mentioned (which I already have) plus paint (which I already have) and it still doesn't work, your idea seems like the ultimate solution.

Old 05-29-15, 03:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 899 Votes on 825 Posts
Sure the primer came off but I'm sure the problem is that the topcoat is blocking (sticking) to the rubber tip. Rubber will do that to paint for some reason.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: