knockdown texture without hopper or can

Old 06-04-15, 11:01 PM
knockdown texture without hopper or can

Is there any relatively cheap way of getting a medium to large knockdown texture applied without the use of cans which are quite expensive and a hopper which is too expensive for the small patches im doing. I have 4 approximatley 2x2ft patches of drywall to repair. Ive heard of using plastic bags or rollers but i dont think they quite match the knockdown finish. This is what my texture looks like.

I already have a box of all purpose joint compound.

Name:  knockdown_texture1.jpg
Views: 6652
Size:  41.2 KB

Last edited by mms1361; 06-04-15 at 11:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-15, 03:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've heard of using a stiff brush to sling the texture onto the wall but I'm not sure I'd want to tackle a patch job of that size without a hopper gun.

Old 06-05-15, 06:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Affordable hopper guns are available that run off your own compressor. HFreight has a decent one here - 1-1/2 gallon Gravity Feed Texture Air Spray Gun

You can also get a manual one for doing small touch ups, however, what you describe would be a little large to use this little one. Wall & Ceiling Texture Touch Up

Use thinned down joint compound which you probably already have extra on. Work in small batches and practice until you can duplicate the surrounding wall.