I would like to know the best way to paint a chain link
fence and also what to use to remove the rust and what
kind of paint to use.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-01, 09:35 AM
Sonnie Layne
Visiting Guest
Greetings Clarence,
Had me stumped for a few days as I've never painted a chain link fence!!

Power wash it.

Treat the rusted areas with a rust converting product. Used to be available from farm equipment places, but recently I noticed that Benjamin Moore has one as well and eaiser to find I would think.

As for finishes, you can use aluminum paint to restore it's original appearance or alternatively use most any product for use on metal outdoors.

Now for what had me thinking... I think the most efficacious method of application would be a roller. Use a thick nap. 3/4" at least. Spraying would waste a lot of paint. Brush the rails and posts or other areas the roller won't cover.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Sonnie

Old 04-10-01, 07:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I disagree. I'm no pro, but I think spraying is a good method. Get some big pieces of cardboard and put it behind the fence where you will be painting and spray away. You will waste some paint but the time factor is a consideration. Don't want to step on any toes, just giving an opinion.

Old 04-10-01, 09:29 PM
Sonnie Layne
Visiting Guest
Good point, and my toes aren't so long as to get stepped on easily. Consider the task,,,chain link fence. Don't know how many miles of this stuff may be out there, but you've got to run a lot of air hose to get there perhaps. Perhaps not. And as all that goes, by the time the equipment is in place, hoses out, compensation for the drop in pressure, cardboard etc. I'd bet he could roll it as fast. Now, I'd go along with sraying the rails and post by adjusting the fan spray for sure!!!

Wasting paint isn't just all about money either. I don't profess to be "green" or anything, but I've studied the subject of environmental issues concerning this profession. Why put it in the air when you mean to put it on the fence? Far as that goes, this would be a great subject for electrostatic spraying, but... well, few have the equipment.

Kind regards,

Sonnie

Old 04-11-01, 06:29 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hammerite ....this is the stuff you need......Paint straight over rust..No primer required!! I would use a throw away roler for this job...But thats just me!

www.hammerite.com

Hammerite Paint is specially formulated to be applied directly onto rust without the need of primer or undercoat. Touch dry in 30 minutes. Provides long lasting protection. Easy to use. Suitable for interior and exterior use.

[Edited by toptosher on 04-11-01 at 09:42]