Painting

Old 04-03-01, 08:42 PM
Visiting Guest
I live in a modular home that still has the original wall coverings and seams. I want to try and mud in the seams and paint/texture the walls to give it more of a "house" look. The only thing is that the walls are fairly flexible and the original coverings are of a wallpaper type with a plastic feeling coating. Any ideas of how I can make this work?

Old 04-04-01, 04:03 AM
Sonnie Layne
Visiting Guest
I love a challenge... I'm thinking you'll wash the areas down with Dirtex, then prime. I would opt for Zinsser's 1-2-3 for the primer because it'll stick to anything. Fill the seams with exterior grade spackle, sand them off. The spackle shrinks somewhat so you may need to re-skim those areas and sand again. Then prime the joints. Then finish paint. I'd stay with acrylic latex, it offers some flexibility and might help with the flex in your walls.

Maybe another pro has another idea, we'll see if any of them bite on this one.

All this is offered as a paint-over. The ultimate would be on a remodeling scale (re-fixing the walls).

good luck,

Sonnie

Old 04-04-01, 06:10 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Thaks for the response, Sonnie!! I too love a great challenge and I have 2 young kids to throw into the mix. THey take the term "bouncing off the walls" quite literally at times. Your suggestion definately sounds doable!!

Old 04-05-01, 04:06 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
The only thing I would add in that this is a lot of work is you might want to use fibermesh tape on the joints to prevent hairline or worse cracking...Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: