Trying to prime and paint, the weather won't let me!

Old 08-27-15, 09:56 AM
M
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Trying to prime and paint, the weather won't let me!

I built a new "lean to" wood shed two weeks ago.

The posts and headers etc...I used PT lumber. The rafters regular lumber. The roof deck, side wall and doors all non PT 3/4" plywood.

Since then I have been trying to prime and paint the outside. But it is raining EVERY DAY.

Yesterday and today it's downpours.

Everything is wet.

Now a storm named Ericka is coming. More rain.

I didn't even put up a roof yet, right now I have a blue tarp draped over the roof deck, and secured down with 1X2 strips all around to keep the roof deck dry.

I understand if I don't prime soon, the plywood will warp. But I can't prime and paint in this weather...

Should I spray some Thompson water sealer on the plywood in the mean time, as a stop gap until I get a clear day...which I have no idea when that is.

Old 08-27-15, 10:13 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
No, just keep it covered as best you can.

Is the PT dry enough to paint? Need it to be around 15% moisture content before you can paint it.

Also, whether you paint it is not going to affect whether it warps - that stuff warps if it wants to.

Old 08-27-15, 10:19 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
If you applied TWS, you'd have to remove it or wait for it to weather off before you could apply primer/paint. The nails/screws will do more to prevent warping than anything else.

What is the hold up on installing the roof?

Old 08-27-15, 12:27 PM
M
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Marker, the holdup to the roof is a day job, the weather, and can't find a pro to do it.

I was debating if I should do it myself or hire a pro. Called around roofing companies and inquired about the cost of putting up a roof for a shed that is 10' wide and 5' deep, and the reply was "oh...thats not for us...we need to set up the same equipment, tools and crew for a 3000 SF roof same as a 40 SF roof so we have to charge you a minimum like $3000 just to come out for an hour and you would be crazy to want to pay that..."

So I am stuck with doing it myself when I have time. Plus I posted about this shed in roofing forum and due to the pitch...6" over 4', the suggestion is a flat roof product. I certainly don't have the tools for a hot mop asphalt system.

I am thinking to install metal flashing all around the perimeter, the glue down a single sheet of PVC or TPO sheet.

Old 08-27-15, 01:19 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Other than hiring a handyman, I couldn't imagine hiring out a small roof like that but having it dried in will help you keep the plywood drier. If you can't get the weather to cooperate for painting, use what time you can to work on the roof.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: