Looking for a Truly Dead Flat Ceiling Paint

Old 08-30-15, 01:26 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Looking for a Truly Dead Flat Ceiling Paint

Hello..progressing through a condo renovation, and will be doing a full repaint on all walls and ceilings. The ceilings are tall and vaulted, and my neck and shoulders are aching just thinking about it.

I'm looking for the deadest of dead flat ceiling paints, one that can be tinted to a soft white. Would appreciate some specific brand recommendations from the pros. I have used BM Waterborne Ceiling paint on a bathroom ceiling, and I loved the results. It was wicked flat, and hid every imperfection like magic...but it is crazy expensive...about $42 a gallon. I have about 2,500 sq. feet of ceiling to paint...looking for a less expensive alternative.

I'm in Naples, FL. ....

Thank you,
Trish

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-15, 03:26 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
Most any white paint can accept a small amount of tint. On the label [or spec sheet available online] there is info on the sheen level perceived at a selected angle, The lower the sheen the flatter the flatter the paint. Usually the help at the paint store [not paint dept] can tell you which of there flat coatings have the least amount of sheen. Is there a special reason that most normal flat paints wouldn't work for you?

Old 08-31-15, 05:40 AM
T
The ceiling height/pitch changes are going to be a bit of a challenge for me to roll..I'm looking for a paint that will be more forgiving of a less than perfect technique and not show every lap mark.

I have rolled flat white before but have found it nearly impossible to not have lap marks. The pros who rolled my current home used flat, and there are lap marks...albeit very neat lap marks...on the ceiling.

Kilz/Behr advertise a dead flat Pro i300 and i110 line. The i300 uses a VAE resin, and the i110 uses a PVA resin. Spectral gloss is <3% at 85%. Anyone have experience with either of these? I may buy a gallon and try it out.

Has anyone found anything comparable to BM 508?

Old 08-31-15, 05:51 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I've always preferred flat wall paint to ceiling paint. IMO it rolls/sprays better than ceiling paint. The majority of the time lap marks are an application issue. I've only used a few gallons of Behr and know very little about their product line up other than they don't have a great reputation.

How many times has the ceiling been painted? Generally the more paint on the substrate the less likelihood there is of lap marks.

Old 08-31-15, 07:37 AM
T
The ceiling paint is the original thin coat of builder-grade white. No lap marks at all so it was probably sprayed with no back rolling. I will be priming with a PVA primer, as I have removed some walls and had a fair bit of drywall patch-in.

I was going to prime the whole room, not just the patched areas, to ensure consistency of the finish topcoat. Pls advise if this is not the best approach.

Thank you,
Trish

Old 08-31-15, 09:45 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
What type of texture [if any] is on the ceilings?

PVA primers are among the cheaper drywall primers. They do ok on bare drywall but I'm not overly fond of applying them over existing paint. I'd consider stepping up to a better grade of primer. Zinnser has good primers but there are cheaper primers [usually a regular paint brand] that would do a good job. Stay away from Kilz2 as it is a poor stain hiding primer and is reported to have adhesion issues.

Old 08-31-15, 12:35 PM
T
Sorry...meant to say EVA....purchased a Valspar Latex Primer/Sealer that is rated for new and previously painted drywall. It has a 5-star feedback rating....figured it was worth a shot.

Thanks for the advice..Trish