Paint Splattered Everywhere looks like Jackson Pollock was here

Old 10-26-15, 10:03 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Paint Splattered Everywhere looks like Jackson Pollock was here

Hello All,

I have a room in my basement that I would like to finish into a laundry/storage room. The previous owner decided it would be a good idea to let her daughter use this as her "art room"....The little girl splattered paint everywhere! Its all sorts of neon colors, and glow-in-the-dark. It looks more like a room you would go in to do acid than to be artistic. Anyways, I want to get rid of it!

I am worried that if I just primer over it, and then put a couple coats of paint on, there will be little splatter bumps everywhere and it will look awful. Aside from removing all of the drywall and starting from scratch, what is out there to remove paint splatters?

Is there a solvent I can spread over the walls to soften the paint and make it easier to scrape off? I'm just looking to have the surface smooth to allow for a nice looking coat of paint.

Thanks for any info.

Old 10-27-15, 05:20 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
You can try sanding them down. If that doesn't work a thin skim coat of joint compound will give you a nice slick wall. Obviously the j/c will need to be sanded, dust removed and then primed.

Old 10-27-15, 08:36 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I tried sanding, the paint was too hard to really sand down quickly. It would take forever. I also considered the skim coat. Would this affect how the paint would stick over time? I didn't think joint compound really stuck to paint very well. I have used it on drywall or in damaged areas, but never over paint. I am looking for a resin or spray that will soften up the drips of paint to scrape them or wipe them off, before I resort to hours of sanding or a skim coat.

Old 10-27-15, 09:52 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Go with the skim coat. Never hurts to give the paint a light scuff sanding but the joint compound will stick.

Old 10-28-15, 04:03 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Joint compound will adhere fine to sanded paint. Denatured alcohol will dissolve latex paint but it won't discriminate between the splatters and the base coat of paint. I didn't mention it before because it just isn't a viable option. Skim coating is the best option. If you were able to dissolve and scrape off the paint you'd likely scar up the walls enough where they would need skim coating anyway.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: