Painting exterior door edges

Old 10-29-15, 09:46 PM
M
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Painting exterior door edges

I need to repaint an exterior wood door. Including the entire door slab inside, outside, the door edges, and the wood jamb.

I painted the entire door with the door hanging open. Let it stay open to dry. Seems dry to touch in 30 minutes but let it stay open for 90 minutes before I closed the door, locked and left.

Six hours later I came back and opened the door the hinged side edge, which kind of touching the jamb, pulled some paint off the jamb as I opened the door.

Is there a trick to prevent the paint from sticking other than waiting a long time for it to dry/cure? How long a wait do I need? Obviously 90 minutes was not enough.

I was using basic acrylic exterior paint. Home Depot Behr brand.

Old 10-30-15, 03:12 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
While latex paint dries to the touch quicker it takes longer to cure than oil base paint. Whenever feasible I'll either remove the weatherstripping or leave the door open all day.

Old 10-30-15, 05:00 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
The door should never contact the sides of the door jamb when the door is closed, so if it does, you may need new hinges, or may need to plane the door edges. If the door and jamb have multiple coats of paint on them, the layers of paint would easily take up the gap that should normally be there.

Old 10-30-15, 05:45 AM
M
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Would using a hair dryer speed up the curing process?

Old 10-30-15, 06:38 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Adding heat will speed up drying but I doubt it will have much effect on the curing process.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: