Mistakenly didn't prime part of my fascia and soffit on a renovation project.

Old 11-01-15, 06:32 PM
Z
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Mistakenly didn't prime part of my fascia and soffit on a renovation project.

Hello,

I recently began work on replacing some of the rotten wood that make up the fascia and soffit on my house. I purchased some Valspar Storm Coat exterior latex paint, and thought it was primer and paint combined, and unfortunately painted over half the wood already in a first coat, before I realized otherwise. I am already in a rush to beat the winter weather, and wanted to at least get a coat of paint on the fascia, forgoing putting my gutters back up until the spring. I plan to prime the remaining bare wood with Valspar All-Weather primer, but am in need of suggestions for my best option on the wood I already painted without a priming coat. Is it feasible to prime over that coat of paint later? I really don't want to remove the coat by sanding, etc..., but I am also not a fan of the idea of having my paint begin to wear/peel in a couple years when the gutters are already back up on the fascia. My fascia is just pine 1X6s and soffit is sanded 3/8 pine plywood.

Old 11-02-15, 04:15 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Upvotes on 631 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Applying primer over the paint won't help/change anything. It might be ok. If I was to remove any paint to prime it would only be on the face of the fascia board. I'd just prime the remaining new wood and pray for the best.

While some exterior paints do ok with not priming minor spots of bare wood I would never trust any paint to be both the primer and the finish on new wood - no matter what the label says.

Old 11-02-15, 06:50 AM
J
Received 125 Upvotes on 110 Posts
I agree, want to never have to do this job again?
Have all the exposed wood wrapped with coil stock.

Old 11-02-15, 01:39 PM
Z
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the quick responses. I think I'll just worry about priming/painting the other half of the job before winter and see how the unprimed/painted half holds up during the winter. If I notice poor adhesion, I may just sand that layer off in the summer when I have more time and the weather is more permitting, and redo it with a primer. I'm mad at myself mainly for not noticing my mistake until it was too late. I'm a perfectionist and it irks me that I messed up so royally. Will one layer of paint temporarily protect the pine for a few months of winter weather before I can decide on my next step? I'm in Kentucky, so the winters typically aren't extreme, but we've had some large snows/extreme cold the past few years.

Old 11-02-15, 03:07 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
One coat of latex paint over raw wood will probably protect the wood longer than just a coat of primer. Primer by itself doesn't wear well. The one coat of paint should be fine until spring.

Old 11-03-15, 11:42 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Not posting this as a how to, or advice from a professional painter or a recommendation.

I know some slum lords that the thought of buying something special at full retail like a primer would put them in cardiac arrest.

They are always in the thrift stores and bargain bins looking for the opp's paint and that is what they use for a primer. They also mix different kinds of paint together for the top coat.

I have not seen any of their paint jobs self destruct. Jim

Old 11-03-15, 01:17 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
There is nothing wrong with mixing different colors/brands of paint together. Most of the paint on my house was derived from mistint paints. They are typically marked down 50% While there are many that will skip the primer over a bare substrate - that doesn't make it right! You'll always get a better looking longer lasting job if the correct materials are used.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: