Oil based paint brush strokes

Old 11-13-15, 01:59 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Oil based paint brush strokes

I used Behr semi-gloss oil based paint on my bathroom cabinets. I’ve typically had better luck with oil holding up better than latex for that type of application. I used a good bristle brush. I needed three coats for coverage because I was going from white to a dark brown. It’s been somewhat humid here but otherwise the weather conditions have not been extreme in any way. I waited several days between coats and cleaned my brush between coats.
The problem is that the brush strokes are horribly visible. It’s practically like I textured stripes into the finish on purpose.
At this point it hardly matters what went wrong… only what to do to “fix” it as best as I can.
Can I lightly sand it and then use some sort of roller for a fourth coat? Or would using Penetrol be my best bet? I really need to try to salvage this. Please help! Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-15, 02:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
Sanding will eliminate or at least reduce the brush marks. Oil base typically flows together well so I'm not sure what went wrong [I've never used that brand] It could be the paint was too thick and needed a little thinning, the temperature was too hot or paint was applied in the hot sun, poor brushing technique could also be the culprit [not saying it was]

You sand lightly between each coat of enamel as that both promotes adhesion and reduces brush marks. At this point sanding will help and if it's easier for you to use a mini roller - go for it. Penetrol can be helpful as it slows down the drying time which allows the paint more time to flow together.

Old 11-13-15, 02:21 PM
Received 25 Votes on 21 Posts
I would have used a foam roller of I was doing it by hand.

Old 11-13-15, 03:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks to you both. The paint did seem a bit thick, so I'll try thinning it a bit and using a foam roller.

Old 11-13-15, 03:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
Don't forget to sand! Roller stipple might hide some of the brush marks but it won't make them go away.