Primer over just paint samples, or whole wall?

Old 11-15-15, 02:22 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Primer over just paint samples, or whole wall?

I have a few sections of different color paint samples on the wall. I'm guessing it will take a few coats of primer to cover them, but do I have to primer the whole wall each time, or do I just primer over the spots?
I don't want to have different colored spots when I do go to finally paint the wall with the color I picked, so not sure what to do.

Old 11-15-15, 02:34 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
If you use primer at all, one coat should do the trick. If it's not new dry wall, just roll 2 coats of paint.

Old 11-15-15, 02:39 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Depends, we have no idea if this is bare drywall, already been painted, what color you started with or plan on finish painting.
No paint should take more then one coat of primer over it to cover it enough for paint.

Old 11-15-15, 02:52 PM
B
I put a coat of primer on my already painted wall, then put the samples on top of that.
So do I put one coat of primer over the entire wall, or just the sample spots?

Old 11-15-15, 03:02 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
There was no need to prime and already painted wall in most cases.
Still need the colors your working with.
Going to a really dark red type color over a light color then I'd suggest a gray primmer or one tinted to at least 50% of the color your going for or your going to need several coats.
I've seen people having to apply up to 7 coats to get it to even out.

Old 11-16-15, 03:24 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
The only reason to use primer over the sample spots is to facilitate coverage. Depending on the color of the primer and the color of the finish paint I'll often just take my roller in the finish paint and spot 'prime' those areas before cutting in and rolling the walls.

When spot priming versus repriming an entire wall the determining factor is generally which is easiest or quickest. If it takes 7 coats of paint to get full coverage - a better grade of paint should have been used!

Old 11-16-15, 08:38 AM
B
I just put the primer down before the paint samples because I figured that would give me the truest representation of the new colors on the wall. The wall is an off-white, going to kinda gray/beige-ish colors, but the one sample is very dark compared to the others. So sounds like I should just prime the whole wall and be done with it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: