Staining

Old 04-08-01, 02:16 PM
AS
Visiting Guest
Question

First let me say I am hoping this is not in the wrong forum. Since painting and staining are similar in many ways. I was hoping someone may have some thoughts or comments.

Last year I throughly cleaned my deck using a deck wash & prep and then stained it using a Behr semi transparent deck stain. Considering the deck was unprotected for 7 years the results were quite good.
Now at the end of the winter season I have noticed the deck stain is worn considerably in some areas.
Such as the stairs, landing etc. Leaving just the original wood color showing through. I was wondering is the solution is as simple as sweeping the area remove any loose stain and
restaining? Or is there more involved? I expect that with any staining/painting there will be required upkeep. I just wanted to be certain that I am proceeding correctly. Since the "winter damage" seemed
failry extensive.
A note winter in the area has been very harsh with considerable snow in the event that this is a factor.
Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.
THANK YOU!

Old 04-09-01, 05:12 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
AS, The only thing I would add to your prep list is to sand lightly with 120-150 grit sandpaper in the areas that have problems. This will help the stain blend into what is there......Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: