Painting asphalt shingles

Old 06-15-06, 08:30 PM
U
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Red face Painting asphalt shingles

Hi,
I know this has been discussed before and the responds was not to paint asphalt roofing shingles, but Behr has roof paint that they say it is ok for asphalt shingles. I live in Texas and my shingles are black. I desperately need something cheaper then replacing the shingled roof! Any other suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advanced

Old 06-16-06, 05:14 AM
S
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

What you are saying is you searched the forum and found that no-one recommended painting a shingled roof-in fact the opposite, it was recommended that one not paint a shingled roof, but you want to do it anyway?

So you are looking for advice here to go against the advice here?
Lol
Of course, you can always just do it

Well, I hope you find what you are looking for

Good Luck!

Old 06-16-06, 05:53 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I agree painting roofing shingles is a bad idea. I have never seen paint rolled on shingles with good results. You can grossly thin down latex paint and spray a mist coat to slightly change the color or to hide overspray but that is the extent of what you would get acceptable results with.

Old 06-17-06, 12:23 AM
U
slickshift
No that is not what I meant. I was not sure if the Behr product was new or not. I was just trying to find out if this was the type of product that was being discussed or if the product was general exterior paint, since the post I read were over a year old. I was just looking for clarification on the advice posted.

Sorry for the confusion, but thank you and marksr for replying.

Old 06-17-06, 07:31 AM
S
Ah, I think I understand
I have not used that particular product from that manufacturer
The others I have used from them have not made a good impression on me, and I can't recommend them
Therefore, from past product performance I would not be inclined to try it, new or not
IMO painting the shingles is not a good idea, but then, it's not a trend around here, so I do not get asked to do so

Old 06-18-06, 04:35 PM
T
You say you need something cheaper than replacing the shingles. Whatever is wrong with the shingles will not be corrected with the Behr roof paint which is intended to lighten roofs and reflect heat. It will not repair shingles, roof leaks, or waterproof the roof. Use of this product would require cleaning and degreasing and priming with recommended products. Most roofing professionals will tell you that painting asphalt shingles is not recommended. Shingles lose granules, and as they do, you can end up with a splotchy color roof.

Old 06-18-06, 06:32 PM
B
I was going to ask the same thing as Twelvepole. What is wrong with your shingles that you expect paint to fix?

Old 06-22-06, 03:55 PM
T
Red face Well I can tell you why...

I live in a historical district and CAN NOT change the ugly, existing black asphalt shingles on the roof and most importantly the gable front. The historical commission does allow painting the shingles and some of the folks there have actually done it. I found info on the Behr and Somay products and am considering it as it makes my old Victorian look so ugly. I'm researching it further.

Old 06-22-06, 04:12 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Originally Posted by TN Homeowner
some of the folks there have actually done it.
They would be your best source of info. Hopefully you can look at one that was done several years ago.

Old 02-12-14, 04:52 PM
J
Painting Asphalt Shingles

Hello group, here is what I know about comp shingles and painting them. Wow! It really is a great alternative to just letting the sun break down the shingles. I've seen roofs that were at the end of their lives go another 15+ years. What I do is get all my dump-stock materials, anything laying around the shop. Mix up plenty of it and start pumping the material on like theres no tomorrow. I can easily put 30 -40 gallons on a 3 bedroom 2000 sq .ft house. Runs do not matter. After that I go over the roof again with about 5-10 gallons of the color I want to use. Usually black or tan or gray. This is a great side business and the clients love it. Think about it- a comp shingle roof is exposed all it's life. The acyrlic coating seals and protects. Waterbased over the oil based roof. Its crazy not to offer this to your clients. It doesn't peel- how could it? It just beefs up the roof. I think theres a killing to be made doing this.

Old 06-10-15, 07:29 AM
F
paint them shingles

well if you look at Mcdonalds or burger king you will see they paint them all the time,I have yet to see one of their stores rot and fall in.

Old 06-10-15, 07:32 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Nine year old thread here, please check dates before responding.

Old 11-19-15, 01:18 PM
W
What is wrong with commenting on an old thread?

Old 11-19-15, 10:02 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
There is nothing wrong in responding to an old thread as long as it is a pertinent response to the general theme. However, often the original poster is long gone and so a detailed response to the OP is usually a wasted effort.

Old 11-19-15, 11:25 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Thread is closed. If you have questions please start a new thread.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: