Fuzz/lint on new paint rollers

Old 04-09-01, 03:50 AM
Sharons
Visiting Guest
Question

What can you do to get rid of the fuzz/lint in new paint rollers? These are not cheap rollers. The first few strokes leave fuzz. Thanks.

Old 04-09-01, 09:27 AM
Sonnie Layne
Visiting Guest
This is sometimes a problem, as a rule I pre-treat all my new covers. Wash them vigorously in warm water. Roll or spin the water out. Stand them on end to dry or toss 'em in the dryer with a towel and low temp setting. When dry, wrap them in masking tape. The tape will pull the fuzzies right off.

good luck

Sonnie

Old 04-10-01, 05:33 PM
Visiting Guest
Sharons
The easy way is to just rap your roller skins with 2" masking tape, put the skin on a roller frame, then tape press it into the roller, then take and peel the masking tape off and your ready to roll on,
Good luck
Frank
Frankawitz Custom Painting &
Plastering Repairs

Old 04-10-01, 05:56 PM
JDX
Visiting Guest
Forget the washer and dryer and spinning them and baking them at 350 for 10 minutes then back to the washer repeating the cycle if need be........simply use the 2 inch masking tape and you will be on your way to lint-free/fuzz-free rolling!

Old 04-10-01, 09:21 PM
Sonnie Layne
Visiting Guest
Didn't say anything about repeating the cycle, washing is a way to bring the wayward fuzz to the surface so that tape will remove it. Nor did I say anything about a washing machine/spin cycle, nor did I say anything about baking (but I am a great cook as well).
Keep it simple then, maybe you won't have lint under the surface that will find it's way out in the future.

whatever

Old 04-11-01, 09:44 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
"Now now children" Shake hands and be friends !!
I buy rollers without the lint and thats that!

Old 04-11-01, 05:09 PM
JDX
Visiting Guest
Toptosher, I wasn't trying to pick a fight. I know overkill when I see it. How come everybody else gets to be a smarty-pants? Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

Old 04-11-01, 05:18 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
All DIY forum readers and members, I read this thread this afternoon and pick up on the normal interaction between pros. JDX is a valued member at DIY and is as outspoken as anyone I have ever known. He is a sweat of your brow kinda guy and has many great thoughts.
Among us now is Sonnie Layne. This is a valuable member and the first thing I would like to point out is Sunnie has not pointed us to his website as such but has posted it at the bottom of a post or two and I have been to it. Sonnie is a world class guy! Among other things he is a poet, chef, tile setter, painter, wine taster, world travler and a few things I'm sure I don't know about but hope to learn because you can't have to many friends. Sonnies posts have been right on and he is quick to ask for for additional input when he thinks it would be a good thing. I would like to point you to Sonnies website because he has used the extreme class to not use this forum to get traffic at his site but has a forum board that is interesting and has a flow about it that is very refreshing(at least to me) and should be interesting to all that visit. Sonnie, welcome again to DIY and please keep on helping! Here is the link to Sonnies site and do visit the forum board as well as his friends sites. You'll be glad you did... http://www.sonnielayne.com/ ..Mike

Old 04-11-01, 05:45 PM
JDX
Visiting Guest
Mike, Thank you for the character analysis. I found it to be accurate and to the point. May the days and saga of Sonnie Layne be long.
Now to get back to our question: Mike, I've found that washing NEW roller covers before painting and letting them dry properly screws-up the nap on the roller. Where do you land on this question? The JDX side or the Sonnie side?

Old 04-11-01, 06:27 PM
Sharons
Visiting Guest
Sure wish I had all of you guys here to do the painting for us. I wouldn't care how you defuzzed the rollers. I'd let Sunnie off the hook so he could paint and I'd cook for all of you. Thanks everybody for the input.

Old 04-11-01, 06:40 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
JDX, On to the question. To be honest, the covers I use only need be rinsed once with a hose and "rolled out" as we call it which is nothing more than swiftly rolling the cover out on any surface to dry it a little. The poly and lamb covers seem to need little in the way of defuzzing as I see it. I have never seen the need to use tape to defuzz a cover...Mike

Old 04-12-01, 05:05 PM
JDX
Visiting Guest
Mike, Well I guess I'm over-ruled on this one. Proceed!

Old 04-12-01, 06:47 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
JDX, Didn't really think I was falling on one side of the fence or the other. If the slight fuzz that a new pro cover will produce is a factor a person would be best served to spray...Mike

Old 04-13-01, 05:53 AM
Visiting Guest
GETTING RID OF "FUZZ"

Last year I bought a small hand-held appliance called "Fuzz-Away Pro", made by Remington. It is designed to get rid of the fuzz on old sweaters, and is amazing -- makes your old sweaters look like new. I also discovered that it very effectively removes the fuzz from paint rollers....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: