Presure washing soffit

Old 12-02-15, 07:55 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Presure washing soffit

I have run out of excuses and can no longer put off painting the house. I bought a new pressure washer and was toying with it a bit.

I mixed up some TSP and a bit of bleach and put it in garden sprayer. It is rather inefficient and will head to the store and buy a good tip/end, spray thingy : ) which will hopefully remedy that issue.

This is a CBS house in Florida with perforated aluminum soffitt. The soffitt has been painted in the past and is dirty. I tried pressure washing a small section and the water goes through the perforations bringing lots of dirt from inside as it runs back out.

It does not seem like a good idea to be pushing water up through the soffitt. Is there a better way?
Jim SW FL

Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-15, 12:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
I've never been crazy about using too much pressure on those types of soffits. I tend to do as much as I can with the pump up garden sprayer and then basically just rinse it with the pressure washer. I've never had any complaints or call backs due to water coming in but have heard of it being an issue for some - I assume they were braver with the pressure washer than me.

Old 12-02-15, 12:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would not recommend spraying any type or pressure of water into the soffits. Unfortunately, the best option is a bucket and sponge!

Old 12-02-15, 12:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Keith, a lot of the houses in fla have continuous perforated aluminum soffit - not something I'd want to tackle by hand. I do agree that the less water under pressure the better!

Old 12-02-15, 12:39 PM
By hand, not the answer I was looking for. I have over 200 lineral feet of perforated soffit and a bad shoulder!

I think I will try the TSP and bleach and then rinse sparingly with PW and see what happens. It brings a lot of dust out, so still will have to wipe.

Thanks for the responses Jim

Old 12-02-15, 12:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you do insist to use a hose or pressure washer, at the very least keep the pressure as low as possible and aim the stream towards the fasica, not towards the attic.

Old 12-02-15, 01:05 PM
Received 25 Votes on 21 Posts
Need to be standing on a step ladder and hitting it at a steep angle.
I pressure wash starting from one end and work my way back then use a garden hose to rince off the trash running out.

Old 12-03-15, 04:33 AM
Thanks for the responses, always greatly appreciated. Seems the older I get the more complicated life becomes.
Jim

Old 12-03-15, 06:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Seems the older I get the more complicated life becomes.
It's not that, we just get slower which gives us time to think things thru and make less dumb mistakes. When we was young we'd go full steam ahead .... and then have to deal with the consequences