Painting over Formica / or how to remove Formica

Old 12-07-15, 07:55 AM
Painting over Formica / or how to remove Formica

Hello, I found an old dresser in the trash the other day, and I'm in the process of repainting it.

The case and drawer fronts are a combination of solid wood and MDF, but the top is the issue. It is a solid wood frame with an 1/8" thick HDF laminate on top, finished with a white formica surface.

I either want to paint the formica, or remove the HDF and formica from the solid frame and make a new top surface from 1/4" plywood.

What is the best primer for painting formica? or, what are some ways I could remove this from the wood frame? It looks like it is glued on with some kind of white epoxy. See photos. Thanks.

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-15, 11:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
First let me say it's never a good idea to paint formica but if you must, use a pigmented shellac primer like Zinnser's BIN. The top coat can be your choice of paint [latex, waterborne or oil base]

Old 12-08-15, 10:50 AM
Group Moderator
I think it looks fine the way it is and would leave it alone. I would also not use plywood if you disagree with my first statement, as you would see the edge and that's not pretty.

Old 12-09-15, 06:34 AM
stickshift,

thanks for your feedback. I ended up using my heat gun to slowly loosen the glue and pry the formica off the frame work. I will then insert some solid wood segments in between the existing boards and level it all down for a solid wood multipiece top. You are right, the plywood exposed edge wouldn't look good, unless it was filled with epoxy and painted over.

I will post some pics when its all done.

Old 12-09-15, 06:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You can band the plywood with a strip of real wood to hide the plys. They also sell a 'wood tape' that does the same thing.