Painting garage doors

Old 12-09-15, 01:38 AM
Painting garage doors

Is this paint suitable for painting metal garage doors?

Sandtex 10 Year Exterior Satin

I live in a block of flats. The garage doors need repainting and I've been given the task. There's 8 of them.

I wanted to use Hammerite Garage Door paint.

I painted one door with green Hammerite as a demonstration. I thought I'd been given approval, so I put the first coat on two more. Then I was told to stop until the residents had voted on a colour.

Now we've had a meeting and the others have voted on Sandtex exterior paint in Bay Tree colour. Personally, I don't like the colour, but that's democracy for you.

More seriously, I'm not convinced that paint "for exterior wood and metal" is the same as paint that is specifically made for garage doors.

Also, would there be any issues with overpainting what I've already done? Would I need to remove it first?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-15, 03:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums Pete!

I'm not familiar with that brand of paint but generally a good quality latex house paint is recommended for garage doors. I doubt there are any paints that are specifically made for garage doors. Some paints are formulated for specific substrates [metal, wood, masonry] Are these new doors? if previously painted - what was used?

As long as the existing paint is well adhered to the metal there shouldn't be any issues with painting over it.

Old 12-09-15, 03:40 AM
Thanks for your reply.

How do I tell if that particular brand is latex or oil? I've read that oil-based paint shouldn't be used because it isn't flexible.

These are not new doors. They are about 40 years old, and very shabby. I presume paint was applied at the factory when they were made. I don't know what type it was, and I don't think they've been painted since.

Isn't a product that's actually named Garage Door Paint likely to be specifically for garage doors?

Old 12-09-15, 03:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Many brands make both latex and oil base paints. It will state on the label which that particular paint is. I didn't see where it said that paint was latex but assume that it is.

What condition is the existing paint in? is it chalky? what prep have you done or intend to do?

While I suppose someone makes a paint stating it is just for garage doors, that doesn't necessarily make it any better for a garage door than a similar exterior latex paint that doesn't specify garage doors.

Old 12-09-15, 04:36 AM
I don't know what you mean by chalky. Here's a couple of photos, you can tell me if it is.

http://s9.postimg.org/usfsj7b5q/Garage_1.jpg
http://s9.postimg.org/8f81wea7y/Garage_2.jpg

preparation:
I cleaned the doors thoroughly with a general purpose household cleaning liquid and a scrubbing brush. Then I lightly sanded them. Then cleaned them again to remove the dust from the sanding.

The original paint is mostly intact. There were a few small places where it had gone flakey. I just brushed them and the old paint came off. I applied Hammerite metal primer to the bare patches. That's the red patches on the photos.

Old 12-09-15, 06:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Chalk is the whitey substance that comes off on your fingers when you rub across the old paint. Fresh paint won't adhere long term to chalk [oxidized paint] so it must be washed off first. When it isn't feasible to remove the chalk by washing you can add Flood's Emulsa Bond to the first coat of latex paint. It sounds like your prep work should have removed any chalkiness [if it was there]

Old 12-09-15, 11:49 PM
Group Moderator
Please note O/P is in the UK and brands suggested here will be North American and may not be available in the UK.