Help with wall cracks after wallpaper removal and painting

Old 12-10-15, 10:49 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help with wall cracks after wallpaper removal and painting

Hello: This is my first time posting here. I hope I am posting in the correct place. I would appreciate any opinions as to what I did wrong here and what might be involved in fixing it. A couple of years ago I removed wall paper from two outside walls of our guestroom. The house was built in 1982. We are the second owners. The wallpaper had been there since we bought it and, I suspect, from the beginning. I removed it by squirting water on it and peeling. I was a tough job to get it all off along with the glue although I was satisfied I had removed all of the latter. I had the impression that the wallpaper was applied directly to the drywall as there seemed to be no paint layer that I could see although my husband insists there would have been a coat of generic new house paint. Anyway, when the paper came of it was down to drywall and, in many places down to the brown layer of the drywall.I let the drywall dry out before patching (don't remember how long but at least a few days). I did a lot of patching with CGC premixed low dust drywall compound. I basically mudded large areas, sanded, remudded, repeat. I don't remember exactly but this occurred over at least a couple of weeks and painting wasn't until a couple of weeks after that.I wanted there to be lots of time for the mud to dry. Before painting I did primer with Behr premium plus Interior 73 drywall primer and sealer (100% latex acrylic). Then I painted two coats of Behr Premium Plus Ultra Stain Blocking Paint and Primer in One (flat). I thought it turned out well.

However, sometime later I noticed many cracks. My husband thinks these occurred after we had new shingles installed on our roof (the room is on the second floor) but I honestly don't know when they first appeared. I thought the first one might be a drywall seam but it seems to be uneven and the second one (straighter, ? seam) is only about 8 inches away. I don't remember where the seams were but there were definitely not two this close together. I am more worried that these are part of the same process as in pic #3. I have cracks (well they don't actually communicate with the surface) all over these two walls. None on the wall which had not had wall paper.

What do you think is cracking - the drywall itself?, the mud?, the paint? At some point I think I will have to cut one of these out and have a look but I am not ready to do that yet with another project currently in progress. This problem has made me stay away from the one remaining room we have wall paper in, until I figure out what I did wrong. Any ideas?

Thanks and sorry it is so long-winded.
Karen

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-15, 11:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
Welcome to the forums Karen!

That is damage to the drywall. Drywall is basically ground up gypsum rock poured as a slurry between 2 pieces of paper and then dried. The rock has cracked. How stable does the wall feel? if it feels solid you can often just depress those offending areas and skim coat it with joint compound.

Old 12-10-15, 11:39 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Okay, thanks. I was afraid of that. Wall feels stable. Most of the others are not visible unless you look closely with a light but these three are a cosmetic issue I want to address before we have new flooring installed next year.

Do you think I caused that by squirting water on it to remove the wall paper? (Be honest ) My husband thinks it might be from hammering for the roofing but these are the only 2 walls in the whole house affected and that is too much of a coincidence for me.

Thanks very much.

Karen

Old 12-10-15, 12:50 PM
Received 25 Votes on 21 Posts
To me it looks like loose paper tape on a seam.

Old 12-10-15, 01:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
Movement caused it, hard to say what caused the movement. Water can make the drywall weaker but generally once the water has evaporated the drywall returns to it's original state. Anywhere the face paper has been removed from the drywall will be weaker than if the paper had stayed intact.