SW paints and family...Specific to Marksr

Old 12-10-15, 04:38 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
SW paints and family...Specific to Marksr

Marksr,

Our store sells Dutch-Boy paint, Classic One (D-B), Pratt and Lambert Paint, along with our house brand. All are made by Sherwin Williams. There is a S-W store within 3 or 4 miles of our particular store.

I know the P & L is a premium paint and the price reflects that fact. It's good paint but I don't think it's worth the price. By comparison I'm a firm believer in the D-B Dirt Fighter and the other D-B paints (we sell a lot of Dutch Boy Dirt Fighter). I'm also told our house brand is one step above the Classic One brand (I kind of doubt that statement).

My question to you, is any of the paints we sell be it D-B or P & L better or worse than the S-W paints sold directly at their retail outlets? For the sake of argument lets just assume a typical interior wall paint. I find it hard to think that S-W would operate several different lines to compete with their own brand. I understand different paint for different types of jobs but my thinking is the P & L would be the same as S-W of the same grade and the D-B would also be the same as their next lowest type. All coming from the same production line, just slapping on different labels.

Your thoughts.

PS...Others, please feel free to comment. I didn't mean only for Marksr.

Last edited by Norm201; 12-10-15 at 05:30 PM.
Old 12-10-15, 05:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
I would have to ask my friend who is a SW manager, but I believe you may be confusing "made by" with "owned by" unless it's specifically mentioned on the label. Most are still operated as subsidiaries. Example: Minwax was bought by SW. It can be purchased in multiple stores, other than the SW store. I believe purchasing additional companies is just one way they enlarge their market share.

Granted, some off brands of paints are made by SW. (Such as Do it Best paints).

Old 12-11-15, 03:17 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
While I've used Dutch Boy and P&L before, I've not used enough of those coatings to be very knowledgeable about them. SWP sells multiple lines of paint at their stores, some are excellent coatings but some of their bottom line stuff isn't fit for use.

I don't know much about the manufacturing process but it isn't uncommon for a company to sell their product to another with the 2nd company putting their label on the product.

Old 12-11-15, 03:52 AM
So I'm thinking that there is little difference in paint brands of a typical clas (with in the SW companies). You both are referring to private labeling. Although private labeling may be different for a product where a company like Sears may have slightly different specs for an appliance and Whirlpool will build to that spec, making it different from a Whirlpool product specific. I don't suspect it's the case with paint.

What I do find strange however, is that as most stores we have a color matching computer that can cross reference almost any other brand including the D-B, P & L and our house brand. But, I can't color match many of the S-P brands! Go figure.

Old 12-11-15, 04:29 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Do you mean accessing their formulas or breaking down a sample of the color?

Old 12-11-15, 02:06 PM
What I mean is, if a typical D-B wall paint (flat, semi or gloss) is different than a S-W typical wall paint of the same grade? I suppose it's both breaking down the color to match different brands but also the "quality" formula.

Maybe I should re-word it this way. Using just the typical homeowners interior paint as an example.
S-W has 3 grades: Ovation, Super and Emerald. I assume in order of quality (thickness and coverage). D-B has Platinum, Refresh and Dura Clean. Which throws me for a loop because we carry the D-B Dirt Fighter and Classic One as typical home owners paint. When I Google Dutch-Boy I don't see the Dirt Fighter or Classic One. But I can also Google D-B Dirt Fighter and Classic One and get full information and specs. Never seen or heard of the others. But we do carry the Kitchen and Bath, Cabinet and Trim and Dimensions (soon to be discontinued). Very confusing.

Anyway, between the two brand labels, is there a difference between say the Ovation and the Platinum or Dirt Fighter?

Old 12-11-15, 02:15 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I have no idea, while it's always best to use the top line paint [or at least the best you can afford] I don't know how those different lines of paint compare.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: