Zinsser Cover Stain

Old 01-05-16, 05:47 PM
Zinsser Cover Stain

Hi I'm new to the DIY forum and glad I came across this site. Hoping that some of you paint guru's might be able to help me out. I am currently getting ready to do some painting in the house and my trim and doors are painted oil base. I plan on repainting them with SW Pro Classic after sanding(deglossing) and priming. I planned on priming with Zinsser Cover Stain. Question I have is I also have some fresh drywall and bare wood shelves that needs priming. I plan on painting the drywall with latex and the shelves with SW Pro Classic. Can I also use the Cover Stain on the drywall and bare wood as I'd prefer to use one primer instead of buying a couple different ones. Any recommendations or info you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks In Advance

Bigmitch

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-16, 07:44 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 127
I would not recommend you use that primer on the drywall. Stick with that primer on your oil painted trim only.

Which brings up the question of why you think the shelves and drywall need to be primed. Is it bare drywall? Or maybe a repaired area? If not, things that are already painted do not "require" a primer. The only reason to prime something like that that was previously painted would be if it was some dark or hard to cover color than needed to be blocked, or maybe if it's been colored with crayons or markers or such.

Old 01-06-16, 03:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 73
How much drywall needs to be primed? I agree that a latex primer is preferred over oil base for bare drywall but the cover stain could be used to prime bare drywall. It would likely need a light sanding prior to applying the latex top coat.

almost forgot welcome to the forums!

Old 01-06-16, 06:46 AM
First off thanks for the replies and let me clarify a little. I built a wall with a door in it to section off part of a large walk in closet and then put in shelving using finished plywood. So the wall is bare drywall, no primer or paint on it and the shelves are bare wood. I don't mind getting different primer for the drywall if that's what I need. Want to make sure I do it right the first time so whatever it takes. So looking for recommendations on what to use on the walls and what to use on the bare wood and trim that has been already been painted with an oil base paint.

Old 01-06-16, 07:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Whenever covering oil base enamel with latex you need to first coat it with an oil base primer to insure the latex will adhere long term. Oil base primer is best for raw wood but there are latex primers that do an adequate job. Latex primer is best for drywall although oil base primer will work. Oil primers often leave raw drywall a little fuzzy but that can be sanded down.

Old 01-06-16, 09:16 AM
marksr thanks for the reply. So from what I gather from your reply Cover stain would be good for all the wood work and then use a latex primer for the drywall. Would Zinsser 1-2-3 work good for the drywall or would you recommend something else.

Old 01-06-16, 10:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
123 is fine for drywall ..... except for when top coating with enamel, most any primer is good enough for bare drywall.

Old 01-06-16, 10:52 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 38
I use 123 for drywall. Is the Cover Stain oil based? While I use only Zinsser primers, I don't have any experience with that one.

Old 01-06-16, 11:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think they also sell a water based version of the cover stain although I've only used the oil base.

Old 01-06-16, 11:27 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 38
Yeah, that's what I was figuring.

I'll use oil based sealing primers but I'm not yet sold on the latex versions....

Old 01-06-16, 11:45 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 127
I was working on my sisters house once.. thought i would leave the painting to her. My sister made the mistake of using oil based primer on drywall once, thinking it was better and it turned all the hairs on the paper on end. It was like 80 grit sandpaper when it dried. Took a TON of sanding and even then it left texture. Not cool.

I also don't like primers that say they are quick drying.

I'm not a big fan of 123... its kind of glossy and because of that I feel like it doesn't cover too well. Primers imo should be flat and sandable.

My favorite primer for bare wood is from Do it Best. Wall + wood primer. Sands to a powder... great stuff... at our local store.