ceiling paint problems??

Old 01-11-16, 01:43 PM
ceiling paint problems??

Hi I own a 3 family home in mass.Last year we repainted the ceilings on the 2nd floor apt.we had a friend do it for us that has a good bit of painting experience.note the tenants that had moved out smoked a lot! anyways the two ceilings she repainted are sheetrock ceilings which had already been painted with no sign of problems for years.weeks after they were primed and repainted areas started to peel.she came back scraped the loose areas clean and re primed and repainted the spots again...anyways its happening again???? we bought good brand name paint.Kilz primer and Benjamin Moore ceiling paint. any ideas why some areas continue to peel? also what should I do to remedy the problem?
we had the home for 10yrs prior and old paint never peeled??Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-16, 01:54 PM
Group Moderator
What kind of Kilz - oil based or latex?

Was the ceiling cleaned at all before being coated?

Old 01-11-16, 02:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Latex Kilz is reported to have adhesion issues, I never used it because it isn't a great stain hiding primer.

What type of ceiling is it? textured? previously painted with what type of paint? Is it just the new primer/paint that is peeling? I've painted over nicotine and never had any issues but I always used a solvent based primer first.

Old 01-15-16, 01:13 PM
Oil based kilz was originally designed to seal knots, but then never really worked lol.

Due to EPA regulations kilz has become a pretty crappy product, both oil and latex.

We use Glidden Gripper for all non real plaster, non smoke, non water stain priming..

For smoke, water stains, and real plaster(not drywall compound) we use Sherwin Williams Problock HS oil.