Painting over paneling and ceiling tiles

Old 04-10-01, 05:23 PM
Visiting Guest
I recently purchased an older home, and want to paint the paneling. I thought it was just cheap wood paneling, but my carpenter friend described it as a photograph of wood grain on wood with a shiney finish. Can this be painted successfully? My friend advised scuffing it with sandpaper before painting. However I'm not sure if after the sanding, if I need a primer, or just a couple topcoats of satin finish latex enamel. I also would like some advice on painting the kitchen ceiling. The ceiling is older white tiles. No kitchen exhaust fan, so quite an accumulation of grease. When I tried to wash them, they seemed to soak up lots of water, so they aren't as clean as they should be. What kind of sealer and finish coat do you recommend? Thank you!

Old 04-11-01, 07:23 AM
Visiting Guest
painting paneling

YES painting the paneling should be no proble, clean it good first with Simple Green, TSP or white vinegar, let it dry then lightly sand it. Applya coat of KILZ or other good primer, let it dry for at least 24 hours and you are set! I would use at least semi-gloss paint for the cleaning factor.

Not sure about the tiles,sorry.

Old 04-28-01, 11:43 AM
Visiting Guest
Painting paneling

A belated thankyou for your input. I think that we are going to do the same thing with the ceiling panels. Thanks again.

Old 04-29-01, 08:19 PM
Sonnie Layne
Visiting Guest
your paint won't stick to accumulated grease on ceiling tiles. period. If it cant be cleaned, I'm afraid there's no good result to be had but to replace the tiles.

Sonnie "bearer of bad news" Layne
http//www.sonnielayne.com

Old 05-01-01, 02:15 PM
Visiting Guest
Don't sand the finish off the paneling if it is masonite. A bonding primer over the finish will adhere just fine. Sanding it may cause the masonite to swell after painting and it does not shrink back. Good advice on the ceiling tiles.

Old 05-10-01, 11:29 AM
Visiting Guest
I don't like painting ceiling tiles anyways.

I was hired to do a re-paint at a church. They had a roof re-do and while it was stripped it rained. The ceiling in the sanctuary was about 35% water stained. Rather than replace they chose to paint.

I used about 5 gallons of Kilz and an equal amount of latex to "try" to cover the entire ceiling.

Where the Kilz was applied caused the tiles to swell. It sealed the stains but I could see the swelled areas. It looked a lot like a bad case of poison oak/ivy.

Old 05-17-01, 01:16 PM
Visiting Guest
good kharma

I am actually working with seatrout on her project. She has great energy...give and take...and things are working out again. I think we lucked out. We had already starting kilzing the ceiling tiles when we read your input.
Well, after much cleaning with TSP, the Kilz went on beautifully. We think that it may be because the tiles were painted before even though they did seem to soak up water when washing. We'll see what happens when we put the finish coat of latex.
Thanks again for all your input.
Yooper for Seatrout

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: