Smelly paint?

Old 01-14-16, 04:56 PM
Smelly paint?

Hello,
I have created a storage space under our interior steps, accessed via a cut-out in the back of a coat closet. The "door" to this space is 3/4" sanded plywood that I primed and painted top coat with paint used to paint our entire patio home (3 years ago). A day after putting the door panel into place, the closet took on a musty smell. A pop-up air freshener has not solved the problem.

Can paint go bad?

Will putting a coat of clear sealer on the panel do the trick?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-16, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator
Yes, paint can go bad. You should have noticed a musty smell from the can. I dunno about the sealer. Have to wait for a Pro on that.

Old 01-15-16, 02:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is it kind of an ammonia type smell? While the paint might still be functional [adhere and wear well] latex paints can develop a funky smell when they get old. Generally fresh air ventilation will remove the odor ..... I know easier said than done in a closet.

Solvent based primer/sealers will usually block odors, latex primers not so much.

Old 01-15-16, 08:16 AM
Group Moderator
Only advice I can give is to aim a fan into the closet - the more airflow, the faster the smell will dissipate.

Old 01-15-16, 01:00 PM
Exterior paints are not supposed to be used indoors due to whats called out gassing.

If the smell really bothers you, i suggest taking the door off, lightly sand it wipe it down with a damp rag, prime it with say Glidden Gripper latex primer from Home Depot, then top coat it with whatever you want.

Old 01-17-16, 05:54 AM
Re: Smelly Paint

Thanks for responses.

It was interior paint used....wasn't clear in original post.
Did not notice any funky smell when I first applied it.
I've had the door panel in my garage for the past week hoping that would help....it hasn't! I think I'm going to sand it down and purchase some new paint to apply.

Old 01-17-16, 05:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Some folks are more sensitive to paint odors than others. You might try a low or no VOC paint.

Is it possible to set the door outside for a day or so - that might do a better job of dissipating the odor.

Old 01-17-16, 08:43 AM
Group Moderator
Just as a test, I'd paint some other piece of scrap with the paint you have to see if the same thing happens again.