Why wont my interrior paint come out smooth on my chair?

Old 01-16-16, 12:47 PM
Why wont my interrior paint come out smooth on my chair?

Ive painted stuff before usually using rattle cans or a spray gun on metal surfaces when restoring antique or vintage items.
Im trying my first brush on and it looks like shizit! im using very little on the end of my paint brush and I can see all the lines from the bristles. It looks so horrid! is it the cheap 89c brush im using or outdated paint? its taken me days to sand from 80 grit up to 320 to get the chair as smooth as i possible can. After 30 seconds the paint is almost dry which I though paint to at least 30 minutes.

What sucks is its to cold to use spray outside!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-16, 12:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
What type of paint are you using? Better brushes tend to give better results, I'd be hard put to do a decent job with an inferior brush. Also it sounds like you might not be applying enough paint. The paint should be liquid enough to flow together which helps to minimize/eliminate brush marks. Sometimes it's beneficial to thin the paint slightly.

You almost always get a better job on wood with brushed on paint versus a rattle can.

Old 01-16-16, 12:51 PM
A cheap brush certainly isn't helping.

What kind of paint are you using?

Old 01-16-16, 12:59 PM
The paint is behrs Paint & Primer+ satin enamel.

Old 01-16-16, 01:59 PM
Group Moderator
Cheap brush and paint with a less than stellar reputation. Spending more on supplies and equipment almost always ensures a better and easier job.

Old 01-16-16, 04:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You should be able to get a decent brush for $5-$10. Sometimes it's beneficial to add a product like Flood's Floetrol or XIM's Extendz to latex paint. Those products slow down the drying time allowing the paint to flow together better. I doubt I've ever used that particular paint.

Old 01-16-16, 08:06 PM
You should be able to get decent results with that paint, although it won't dry as hard or be as durable as some others. I think your main problem is probably the brush. Purdy and Wooster make decent brushes; you want one with softer and more flexible bristles to minimize brush marks.

Also, you may have gone to too fine a grit when sanding. You want the surface to have a bit of bite for the first coat; I generally don't sand bare wood above 180 or 220 if I'm going to paint it. Between coats you can sand with 220 or even 400 to level the surface for the next coat.