Paint Removal

Old 04-11-01, 08:20 AM
Visiting Guest
Angry

I have a cast iron fire surround which over the years has been painted with many coats of paint. I bought Nitromorse to remove the paint which it has done to a degree. I seem to have hit some very old lead paint and the Nitromorse is just not sufficiently doing the job, it is leaving a residue - can you suggest a way to remove this.

Thank you.

Old 04-11-01, 08:30 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I use them wire brush attachments that fit on the end of power drills. Great for cleaning detailed sections too.

Old 04-11-01, 07:14 PM
JDX
Visiting Guest
Your best bet may be to get a stronger industrial strength paint stripper that contains methylene chloride. It's nasty but it works. It should tear right through that paint.
If you use the drill-wire brush combo be careful! It can do a lot of damage in no time. If scratches are what your lookin' for, this is the answer. Otherwise use a liquid stripper.
Toptosher, We don't agree on this topic. You know I still respect you and will always consider you a heavy-weight on this BB.

Old 04-11-01, 07:48 PM
Visiting Guest
Red
We do wrought iron hand rails, and the best thing that we have found that works great and it saves a ton of labor, go rent a sand blaster, and have at it, Then if this is go outside you may want to get some red lead primer, this way it'll stop any rusting, then you can go ahead and paint,
Good luck
Frank
Frankawitz Custom Painting &
Plastering Repairs

Old 04-12-01, 04:38 AM
JDX
Visiting Guest
The more I think about it.....Use Frankawitz method as your 1st choice. It's quick and it does a thorough job. Frankawitz, thanks for weighing in.

Old 04-12-01, 09:52 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes JDX...Your right,my method is rather abrasive!Thanks for pointing that out.
Ive done this job in the past to remove many layers of paint....with repainting in mind,which hides any fine scratches.
However if redfunky wishes to leave the piece as cast iron then liquid stripper I admit, is the way to go..The paint residue will only go after more nitromors applications and fine wire wool & rags.. and then thoroughly scrub with a stiff brush and detergent.
The luxury of using a sand blaster would be ideal,of course but not always practicle..

Old 04-12-01, 06:24 PM
Visiting Guest
JDX
Thanks,Toptosher with the use of the red lead primer this will fill in any fine scratches, we like to spray our hand rails with a high gloss enamel oil base, we add some penetrill and they come out real nice,
Frank

Old 04-14-01, 09:08 AM
hy
Visiting Guest
Removal of paint from cast iron

This job is easily done in one application with the PEEL AWAY I paint removal product. NO METHYLENE CHLORIDE, NO FUMES. Youshould never be sanding when you are dealing with lead based paint.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: