Long Time Between Primer and Paint

Old 03-19-16, 07:24 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Long Time Between Primer and Paint

So I was doing some painting and had to go out of town for work on short notice. The short story is that I have walls that I primed a little over 3 months ago (latex, indoors).

I've read that this is too long; I've also read that time between primer and paint is only an issue for oil based paints. So, do you think I would run into any issues painting now, 3 months later, or am I stuck having to prime again?

Also, one section of the room already has its finished coat on (I used two coats of paint). If I do reprime, any chance of there being a color difference?

Thanks.

Old 03-20-16, 03:18 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
For most primers it doesn't matter how long you wait prior to applying the finish coat. What matters is the condition of the primer! Primers will degrade quicker than paint and will attract/hold dirt more than the finish paint will. It really doesn't make any difference what type of primer it is, it is more about the environment it is exposed to. The odds are your interior primed walls are fine and you can go directly to the finish paint.

If there are any differences between the already painted room and the fresh paint it will be because of the brand [sometimes color] of the paint and not the primer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: