Refinishing rusty baseboard heater

Old 04-07-16, 02:25 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Refinishing rusty baseboard heater

I repainted this room heater once before- and its lasted 20+ years. It was sanded {metal}back then, and i put something, underneath the final top coat. What the heck was it? Rust Oleum comes to mind/? but not...vividly.Do the Rust Oleum people, make a primer for this. metal.Seems like i have done this twice before. That slowed this rust way down before... Any help provided; i thank you much for taking the time to help bob s

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-16, 04:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 345 Votes on 323 Posts
C'mon Bob.... it's time to stop squeezing that nickle and replace that heater.

The original finish is baked on from the factory. Once that is rusted your repainting job will only be a temporary repair. 20+ years on an already old heater is a long time.

Rustoleum does make several metal primers. They come in a can or spray.

Something like this may be good for you.... Stops RustŪ Rusty Metal Primer Spray

Old 04-08-16, 04:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
If you do decide to paint, sanding down to clean metal is best and then applying primer and top coat. While spraying might look a little nicer, brushed on coatings tend to have a thicker film = more protection. The brand of paint isn't as important as the type. Both primer and finish paint need to be solvent based - no latex primer or paint! Back when oil base trim paint was the norm I'd just use it on the baseboard heaters if they needed painting.

Old 04-08-16, 05:37 AM
Oil based paint after priming it.These tips are what i needed. Brush paint instead of spray paint. spray would be...to much masking and getting ready. Pj I'm not squeezing any nickels.This an old old baseboard electric heater that i stopped using 20 years ago.If steel is near a toilet"It will rust eventually}I wanted to remove it. but afraid the ceramic tile would be a different shade of blue. Which would'nt go over to good with her. Bob s

Attached Images  
Old 04-08-16, 05:36 PM
Group Moderator
I'm just messin' with you Bob. Actually the tile will probably be fine but there will be mounting holes and a hole for the wiring.

The acid in urine is what causes the rusting. Can't be helped with "boys" using the toilet.

Old 04-09-16, 10:50 AM
Attachment 64907 I got it all covered...took it out- cleaned up- while she was gone Friday. paint the little "hole cover" and be good to go.Knew you were messin with me No problem with that.It breaks the" monotny" of chore at hand ha ha

ps she will love this ......but not like the cover till its painted , aaaah what do women know anyway ha ha great day to ya PJ! bob s

Attached Images  
Old 04-09-16, 11:25 AM
Group Moderator
Nice job. I'd go for that look any day.

Old 04-10-16, 05:15 AM
Thank you PJ great day to ya! bob s ~~~~~~~now to go to the shop[garage] and weld up the dining room chair,crack on the swivel base. Always something to do. Really wouldn't have it any other way cheers bob s