Effect of temperaure on paint dry/cure time?

Old 04-10-16, 07:14 AM
Effect of temperaure on paint dry/cure time?

Have to paint recently primed drywall (2 coats of Zinzer Bullseye 123 with a soft finish latex. With recent weather cannot get room temperature above 54 deg during day and upper 40's at night. Need to complete painting for moving schedule. Any problems for seen with drying/curing of the paint?

any comments appreciated and tanks

ps drywall was primed over a week ago.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-16, 09:00 AM
Maybe, I think that's close to limit for interior painting. Lower temps certainly increase the dry/cure time and may interfere with bonding. A big concern is if the humidity is high and wall temps drop below dew point causing condensation on the walls before the paint has fully dried. If you can fire up the heat I would do it. But stay away from unvented heaters that put a lot of humidity into the air.

Paint Pro here may have more specific advice. It might help to know what brand/type of paint you plan on using...

Old 04-10-16, 09:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The substrate temp is just as important as air temp. If the walls are at least 50 when the paint is applied it won't hurt the paint too much [other than slowing down the cure time] but I'd be leery of applying paint to any substrate that is only 40

Old 04-10-16, 09:42 AM
Why two coats of primer, only needed one.
Primmer never fully covers everything, the two coats of finish paint will do that.

Old 04-10-16, 10:31 AM
increased ventilation?

thanks for the suggestions and help

used two coats of primer...first coat did not seem to cover as I expected

the paint is a run of the mill Behr latex, custom color, may only get one coat

comments on humidity helped, it may warm up but rain, no help there I guess

will use two big fans to move air in the rooms, no more heat available yet

thanks for all the help

Old 04-10-16, 10:38 AM
The purpose of primer isn't to provide proper coverage. It's purpose is to provide a proper substrate for the paint to adhere to. Those temps sound pretty low and it would certainly make me a little nervous. Is there no electrical installed? Why can't you just bring in a few little portable heater fans to bring the temps up prior to and during painting?

I just checked and you're pretty close to the absolute minimum application temperatures for that product. Not exactly an optimal situation to be in.

Old 04-10-16, 01:41 PM
Group Moderator
used two coats of primer...first coat did not seem to cover as I expected
As Mark said, primer seals, it does not cover.

the paint is a run of the mill Behr latex, custom color, may only get one coat
Who picked the paint? Lots and lots of horror stories told on this site using that brand. Better products and advice generally available in paint stores than in paint departments.

Old 04-10-16, 01:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
As Mark said, primer seals, it does not cover.
actually wildbill said it but I do agree. While there are some primers who's main job is coverage, most are formulated to seal the substrate. Generally it's better to have 1 coat primer and 2 coats finish than the other way around.