Best finish for buffet turned into bathroom vanity?

Old 05-10-16, 01:08 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Best finish for buffet turned into bathroom vanity?

I have a buffet that I'm going to use as the vanity for my master bath. I'm painting it black and I'm still not sure what finish I should use to protect it from water. I've read so many conflicting articles!

Anyone have any ideas besides epoxy that would work? It won't be used very much but I want it to last and not have to worry about water ruining the finish or leaving water stains.

I used oil based poly on a coffee table once and it yellowed pretty badly and ended up lifting and chipping off. Might have been put on too thick each coat, so this time I want to do it right!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-16, 02:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Generally enamels by their self provide decent protection from moisture. Since you intend to paint it black I'd use oil base enamel. While oil base whites and light colors will yellow over time, darker colors won't. Oil base enamels do adhere and wear better than latex.

I used oil based poly on a coffee table once and it yellowed pretty badly and ended up lifting and chipping off.
Oil base polys do amber over time. The chipping and lifting was most likely a prep [and possibly application] failure as oil base poly will adhere better to the existing finish than a water based poly would. I suspect there may have been some polish/wax on the table that wasn't removed first. Also you always want to sand lightly! The same applies to the buffet you intend to paint.