wipe doors with mineral spirits? why?

Old 06-04-16, 10:51 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
wipe doors with mineral spirits? why?

Am planning on priming and painting about 10 several exterior fiberglass doors ("PlastPro brand) and the painting instructions mention to wipe down the doors with mineral spirits as the first step, before the priming. What does that do, how does that help? These doors aren't brand new and have been in use several years now but only now are they finally going to be painted. There's no manufacturing dust or anything like that on them. Is the wiping with mineral spirits really necessary? Because I don't wanna bother with that if it's not. Any comments appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-16, 11:19 AM
Group Moderator
Received 189 Votes on 178 Posts
Some doors are famous for having contaminates on the surface that cause the finish to fisheye. I really don't understand why you would question the instructions. Its a fairly simple, basic, standard step you take before finishing almost any door.. and you will really be kicking yourself if you start applying the paint and there is a contaminate on the surface that causes it to fisheye... because then its too late and you can't go back and start over.

Old 06-04-16, 11:59 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Ok thanks XSleeper for the comment/explanation. Just thought I'd ask here, was just wondering, that's all. Will go ahead then. Don't want fisheyes.