latex or stain

Old 04-19-01, 10:16 AM
Visiting Guest
Confused and need HELP!!!
My house is 7 years old and needs painting. With all the choices available, I don't have any idea what products are best. First question is, should I use a Latex Solid Color Stain or a Alkyd (oil?) Solid Color Stain? The original product used was a Benjamin Moore Alkyd Solid Stain. Product price is not a factor, I just want to get it done right. Is Benjamin Moore the best quality product or should I consider another, say California Paints? Help!

Old 04-19-01, 11:10 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

More questions need to be asked. Was the original an opaque - solid color stain. Aside from fading and wear, any problems? Peeling should not be a problem. What are the problems?

Type of surface - ie textured plywood, cedar shake, clapboard...

Current color and new color desired? Certain dark color hide tannin stain in some woods - go light and you have problems.

Location of home, ie if you are in a coastal town with salt water, latex is the only way to go.

Go thru the details, Let us give some solutions.

David
A Paint Pro from years ago...

Old 04-19-01, 11:38 AM
Visiting Guest
David,
Thanks for your reply. I'm still a novice in this process. Here's more detail. Aside from fading, and some ceder bleeding, there are no major problems. I plan on power washing and spot priming the limited bare areas and the ceder bleeding. The original product used was Benjamin Moore Alkyd Solid Siding Stain (beige). The house is located in a inland suburb of Boston and the siding is rough ceder clapboards. Hope this helps. Jordan

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: