T111 siding issues with cabot solid oil stain not adhering after many coats

Old 08-09-16, 07:19 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
T111 siding issues with cabot solid oil stain not adhering after many coats

I have T111 siding which is really a form of plywood. I have been using cabot solid oil based stain for many years. It is getting hard to find because of the environmental issues. The last time it lasted 1 year and started to crack an peel. It is strange that some parts are fine and some are peeling and splitting.

The current plan is to do this:

1. scrap and sand the bad parts.
2. use cabot Problem-Solver® Acrylic Primer #8022 on all areas.
Cabot Stain Problem Solver Wood Primer | Cabot
3. wait a day for the primer above to dry.
4. apply cabot solid acrylic stain.
Siding Stain — Wood Siding & Acrylic Wood Stain | Cabot

I was told that going from solid stain to the acrylic primer and acrylic stain would make the siding more able to expand and eliminate the splitting. It would also hold the color longer than the solid oil stain that often fades.

Old 08-10-16, 03:23 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Welcome to the forums Larry!

Stains don't generally peel. When they do it's normally a prep issue. What type of prep do you do prior to staining? How long did the previous coats last?

I agree with switching to a latex stain. They do tend to hold their color better than oil and should protect just as long.

Old 08-11-16, 04:23 PM
L
Prep work

Thanks for the reply. Previously I just power washed the siding. Last time for whatever reason it did not take. I always sand the bad spots first. I have a two story house and sanding is a pain for me. Do you have any recommendations on sanding. I usually just do it with a sanding block but this time the job is massive. Thanks for your time.

Old 08-12-16, 03:39 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm not sure that I've ever sanded T-111. After washing the siding I'll use a wire brush as needed for any loose stain. Adding TSP to the cleaner prior to pressure washing often helps to remove loose stain.

When it was stained last time was it extra hot? If the stain dries too fast it can compromise it's ability to bond with the substrate or underlying stain. Is just the last coat of stain peeling or is it coming off down to bare siding?

Old 08-13-16, 01:47 PM
L
I have posted some pics

I am not really good at the terminology but i do have some pic's.

Old 08-14-16, 03:24 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Old 08-16-16, 06:38 PM
L
posting the pics of the three areas that are good bad and worse

good - bad - worse areas are all on the same east facing wall which gets a good deal of sun.

Attached Images    
Old 08-17-16, 02:19 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
That almost looks like there was either too much stain applied or maybe applied in the hot sun were it dried too quick. I'd scrape and go over it with a wire brush, then see were you need to go from there.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: