removing paint residue from brick

Old 04-20-01, 04:19 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile

I have a three quarter red brick home with the remaining quarter very old aluminum siding that has turned to chalk. This residue is on the brick and I would like to know the safest way to remove it.

Old 04-20-01, 06:31 PM
Visiting Guest
What a project!!

My husband and I bought a house about 1 1/2 years ago and the previous owners had painted the brick fireplace with white paint. This fireplace must have been painted several times as the paint was on very thick--runs and all. It doesn't sound like you have the thickness problem, but what we did was used a paint stripper (they have some that is for masonry at Home Depot), we let that sit, then scrapped scrapped and wiped it off, through several phases. We then used a drill with a wire brush fitting (also at Home Depot) to remove the paint from the mortar joints. This did cause some need for mortar repair, which comes in a tube, premixed that you would use a cocking gun to apply(also at Home Depot). We then used a sand blaster to remove the rest of the paint residue from the porous brick. It sound like you could use the sand blaster only for your situation. We had to do all the previous steps because the paint was on too thick and sand blasting only would put large divots in our bricks. We have completed all the paint removal and are repairing the mortar. We will then use a sealer, like Thompson's water sealer, to finish the project. Although I am extremely happy with the results, it is not a project that I would like to do again any time soon--or ever. Hopefully our trial and error benefits someone else.

Old 04-22-01, 05:27 AM
Sonnie Layne
Visiting Guest
Have you tried a power washer? Would be my first thought.

Old 04-22-01, 09:13 AM
Visiting Guest
No, power washing was never a consideration for us because our project was indoors with carpet surrounding the area. I did ask my brother in law (who is in construction) and he thought it would work. He said that it might damage the mortar and that there might still be need for repair.

Old 04-22-01, 02:48 PM
Sonnie Layne
Visiting Guest
So sorry, didn't realize we were talking interior. Scratching my head trying to realize how chalking from an exterior siding has affected interior brickwork, but... hey, try this link:
http://www.dumondchemicals.com/html/products.htm
seems they've got safe strippers for almost every situation.

Sonnie

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: