Matching BM trim paint with Behr

Old 10-12-16, 08:19 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Matching BM trim paint with Behr

I am in the process of remodeling my house. My last painter used Benjamin Moore as they got a good discount there and that is what they preferred.

However, when I've needed more paint, I don't get any discount. The trim paint alone, which requires no mixing, is around $50. I am getting tired of paying that and it is also inconvenient going to BM.

My question is, can Home Depot match Regal Select Pearl finish White 550 01 in Behr (or another paint they have)? I know they can match colors, but I am wondering if they can match the finish/sheen.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-16, 08:27 AM
Group Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 41 Posts
They flat out can't match the paint. There's a reason it's cheaper than Ben Moore.

Old 10-12-16, 08:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 102 Votes on 94 Posts
While I'd trust my local paint store to match any competitor's color, I'm not sure a big box paint dept has that level of expertise.

There isn't an industry standard when it comes to sheen level. Many manufactures will have a different level of sheen for their gloss, semi-gloss, satin or whatever between their different lines of paint. A different paint isn't likely to have the exact same sheen.

I'm not overly familiar with Behr's coatings but normally the more expensive paints will both apply and wear better.

Old 10-12-16, 12:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 40 Posts
If you have a paint sample that can "match" it. Match is in quotes because it will not be a 100% match because it is not the same paint, same chemicals(sheen), same color matching machine, etc. It will be VERY colse, but if you put them side by side, there will be a slight difference.

I have had nothing but good results with Behr paint. Especially their higher end paints.

Old 10-12-16, 01:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Behr is usually very good with matching "color" however, BM Regal Pearl will have a different sheen than Behr Satin. You said trim paint- as long as you don't switch mid board or molding, it will not be noticeable from say one door casing to another door casing.