Faux Finishes on floors

Old 04-24-01, 01:13 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I have heard that you can paint a faux finish on a floor Is this true? If so, how do I do it. I would like to make a unfinished floor (OSB board) look like slate or ceramic tile Please Help?

Old 04-26-01, 02:32 AM
Sonnie Layne
Visiting Guest
Hello Mellysa,

IMHO (im my humble opinion) OSB is the wrong material. You'll want to glue a layer of moisture resistant luan or 1/4" AB plywood to work with. Fill the gaps with latex modified floor leveling compound (sounds scary, but it's not voodoo). From there, you'll have a nice, smooth surface that won't chip, swell or otherwise ruin your painting efforts.

I've seen methods of "blocking" involving miles of tape, but my favorite is stamping. I'll see if I can come up with a book title for you, it's quite detailed but VERY do-able! First let's get the costs down for laying the substrate. Luan is around $.30 / sq.ft. here including tax. Adhesive will cost around $.10 sf.. Then you'll fill, seal, prime and paint the first coat, which will be the color of the grout lines. This is done no matter which method of painting tiles you use.

Maybe some other pro's will be around to help or offer other suggestions.

My best,
Sonnie

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: