High contrast color treatment for steps for a sight-impaired elder

Old 12-28-16, 10:32 PM
F
Received 23 Votes on 18 Posts
High contrast color treatment for steps for a sight-impaired elder

I need to make two sets of steps less risky for a seasoned citizen with macular degeneration who has trouble making out the edges of the steps. Both sets of steps are your basic residential concrete. One set leads out the back door and onto a patio and is perpetually exposed to the weather. The other leads out onto a carport and is relatively sheltered from the weather.

Even the carport steps sometimes get wet in a driving rain so slip-resistance is high on the list of requirements in both cases. Resistance to weathering is more of a factor on the patio steps, not only because they're more exposed, but in a few months I'll be building a wheelchair ramp out the carport door that will cover those steps.

Online research tells me the best contrasting colors for someone with MD are black and yellow, so black steps with a yellow band at the edges would be my preference. Is there a product better suited than paint for a job like this? Like some sort of rubberized surface custom-made for the task? If not, what sort of paint is best suited to it?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-16, 03:29 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 261 Votes on 231 Posts
Would something like this work - https://www.lowes.com/pd/SKID-GUARD-...p-Tape/3185621

I've used them before and they seem to work well other than they will wear away over time. Maybe paint the tread yellow [for more contrast] and then apply the strip.

Old 12-29-16, 05:29 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 530 Votes on 487 Posts
Non slip tape like Marksr linked is available in a variety of sizes and shapes. Home centers, Amazon and industrial suppliers like Manhattan Supply and Grainger also carry it. A strip at the lip of the stair is very good at preventing slips and falls. Unfortunately the non slip material from home centers is almost always black so there is little contrast.

If you look at more industrial sources you'll find it in high contrast colors and patterns. Just be ready for a little sticker shock. You're mind may be thinking "it's just tape so it will be cheap" but it's a pretty tough industrial product with a price tag to match.