Painting bathroom: strange problems

Old 03-13-17, 06:49 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Painting bathroom: strange problems

Ill make it short. Just purchased a house, about 15 y/o. Had a professional painter come in to do living room. I picked a very deep purple. Walls had a eggshell color. His first coat went on, and it looked PINK. It took him 3 coats to get color I wanted. Okay. I was planning on doing a few rooms myself, started in master bathroom, again eggshell. I picked a good yellow. Now it gets strange, didn't expect first coat to get it done, and it didn't. second coat did it , in areas, in other areas I'm on 4th coat. If I paint during daytime, its yellow, I turn the lights on , the whole room turns green, okay its the lights,but the problem is still in corners, I'm getting a GREEN hue After 4 coats.in the shower, I dripped a little paint, I noticed it was GREEN and not yellow. I have no clue how green is getting into this.Im just confused on what I need to do to get a consistent color.

Attached Images   
Old 03-14-17, 03:18 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

For whatever reason yellows don't cover as good as other colors. Some brands/lines of paint cover better than others. Are you just touching up the suspect areas or are you cutting it in and re rolling? Has the bucket of paint been mixed well? Does the color get more consistent if you stir the paint up?

45 yrs ago I painted my parents living rm with a bunch of leftover paint mixed together. The walls appeared green, yellow or gold depending on the lighting.

Old 03-14-17, 04:30 AM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
First off, yellow and blue make green, so the use of blue painters tape may be assisting in the appearance of the green hue. Second, certain light bulbs that are in the "cold" spectrum give off a blue hue to them and that may also be contributing to your greenish hue. Try a different light bulb possibly in a portable lamp, turn of the general lighting and see if that changes things. You want bulbs that are in the "warm" spectrum which is more toward the yellow side than blue. LED's and CFL's are on the cool blue side so look to incandescent bulbs.

Old 03-14-17, 08:06 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Deeper colors take more coats so I'm not surprised a purple took four coats to cover (red tends to be the worst covering color, I've heard stories of eight coats being needed...).

I agree the lighting is likely at least a big part of the bathroom color issue.

Old 03-14-17, 08:58 AM
Received 489 Votes on 453 Posts
So the 800# gorilla question. What brand of paint are you using?

Old 03-14-17, 01:37 PM
B
Red face Type of paint

home depot,Behr Premium Plus .

I have some LED bulbs at home so ill remove and replace and see, if need be im not against slapping another coat, also stop and pickup 4 incandescent bulbs and post what I get. Thanks much

Old 03-14-17, 02:47 PM
S
Group Moderator
Great question from Marq; the paint you used is involved in more horror stories here than any other brand....

Old 03-14-17, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
I don't work at HD anymore, so no real dog in the fight, but I don't understand the whole Behr thing. That's what we used to repaint (no extreme color changes) the interior of 2 houses (well, she used...I don't paint) and never had any issues with covering, peeling, etc. I can understand a Pro wanting to use what he likes and knows will work (along with any discounts and good service he gets at a paint store), but as a homeowner I sure wouldn't pay 2X as much.

Main reason we used it 1st time, was because HD was closer than anywhere else except Walmart. After that, it was a lot to do with price. We did what I consider basic prep (dusting/wiping down walls, removing grease buildup, repairing and priming damage, etc) and I never heard about a single problem.

I realize you often get what you pay for but I don't need a Unimog when a Jeep will do fine.

No intention to hijack here, just bringing it up.

Old 03-14-17, 03:44 PM
I use behr on a regular basis and never had any problems. It is in the prep with certain colors. Deep reds and blues would require a tinted primer that is almost as dark as the final color to achieve success. I don't fall for this primer and paint all in one stuff. I don't also follow the guarateed one coat sales scheme. Two coats are needed to even out the finish, one sometimes leaves "holidays" in the paint where you missed a spot or two.

Old 03-14-17, 04:56 PM
B
Paint

ok, this is natural light and 4- 60w incandescent lights, now I think all I'm dealing with is shadows, I think it was the lights but your opinions are more than welcome and why they are now upside down, I don't care

Name:  bath1.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  36.3 KB

Name:  bath2.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  43.4 KB

Name:  bath3.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  48.7 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 03-14-17 at 06:24 PM. Reason: reoriented pictures
Old 03-14-17, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
The light can really change it for sure. Glad you found the reasons.

Old 03-15-17, 07:58 AM
S
Group Moderator
I'm not going to sit here and argue for or against Behr because I've never used it. I know many people like it and that's fine but I have seen more painting horror stories involving that brand than all others combined in my more than 12 years on this site (and that is why I won't use it).

Old 03-15-17, 08:27 AM
Another verification is to place the color chip from the store against the wall to see if it matches exactly or if it is off. If it is off then the color was mixed improperly at the paint counter.

I had one customer who left while we were painting her living room. A frog green is the best way to describe it. After one coat, she comes around the corner and says "that is NOT the color I picked out!". I walked over to her desk, picked up the color chip and held it to the wall. It was an exact match. She apologized and we continued. It was just the shock going from white to green that threw her off. Kind of like getting a haircut - first look is of shock and then the next day you are OK with it.

Old 03-15-17, 10:09 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
If I need to verify a color was mixed right I normally take the paint and apply it to a quarter or so of the paint chip.

I don't know a lot about Behr paints, I've probably applied a gallon or two but not enough or often enough to really form an opinion. I have applied a fair amount of Glidden paint and know that the Glidden line sold at the big box is their bottom line coating and IMO not fit for use ... Glidden does have quality paints, just not at a big box. The problem with most big box coatings is they are more concerned with low price than they are quality.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: