Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

matching color of stained wood

NY

03-17-17, 08:43 AM   #1 (permalink)  
matching color of stained wood

Hi, The trim and doors in my house are stained maple color and finished with semi gloss poly. I've been trying to repair and refinish several spots where vacuum cleaner and furniture moving have damaged the wood. The problem I'm having is that maple stain turns the damaged spots very dark. Any tricks to color matching for spot repairs? Thanks in advance, Steve

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

NE

03-17-17, 08:49 AM   #2 (permalink)  
The name on the can is meaningless, you need to do a color match. It will also be nearly impossible because your polyurethane has likely ambered due to exposure to UV light. Cant really give you color suggestions without a picture.

Forum Topic Moderator

CAL

03-17-17, 09:10 AM   #3 (permalink)  
Touching up scratches is always hard. The scratch will absorb stain much more than the surface wood.
You might trying thinning the stain or using a fill stick. The fill stick is like a crayon and is rubbed into the scratch.
Something like Formby's scratch hiding oil might work also.

Brian

California Licensed Contractor

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

03-17-17, 09:59 AM   #4 (permalink)  
Whenever touching up damage like that I always use a stain a shade or 3 lighter. Sometimes just applying fresh poly is enough.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Forum Topic Moderator

NE

03-17-17, 10:53 AM   #5 (permalink)  
Its entirely possible that originally, there was no stain used. Like marksr said, it may just be poly.

NY

03-17-17, 11:32 AM   #6 (permalink)  
stain

Wow, great comments and suggestions. And quick! Thanks

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

03-17-17, 01:48 PM   #7 (permalink)  
Often with even with light colored stains, poly/varnish alone will make the scratches almost disappear. It can be difficult to make the abuse totally disappear without sanding down to fresh wood and refinishing ... but if you can get it where those spots don't catch your eye, that's generally good enough.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread