Basic Paint with Primer question

Old 04-15-17, 08:35 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basic Paint with Primer question

I'm painting a small bathroom that is currently tan with a light shade of blue. I want to get a semi-gloss paint that includes the primer in it. My question is, when I do a second coat, what kind of paint should I use? For instance, if I use a Valspar paint that is paint and primer on my first coat, on my second coat can I just use a regular Valspar paint (not primer included) or might this look different because I used a different kind of paint beneath it? I know it's probably a silly question, but better to ask!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-17, 10:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 141 Votes on 126 Posts
IMO the primer in the paint is just a marketing ploy. Most repaints do not need a primer. As long as you get full coverage it shouldn't matter what type of paint you use.

Old 04-15-17, 10:23 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
So far, I've just painted walls without primer but it was always a darker color going over a white or real light color. I'm worried about no primer since it's a tan color and I'm putting a lighter blue/grey over it.

Old 04-15-17, 10:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 141 Votes on 126 Posts
While I can't comment much about the paint you are using. Valspar had great oil base exterior paint 40 yrs ago but I know little about their modern day offerings. Quality paints don't generally have coverage issues going lighter or darker. A quality paint will cover tan with light blue/grey with 1-2 coats. If it takes more than that - either the paint or it's application is suspect.

Old 04-15-17, 10:40 AM
Group Moderator
Received 246 Votes on 226 Posts
I agree with mark, but in your case use the same exact paint for your second coat.

Old 04-15-17, 07:44 PM
Received 31 Votes on 27 Posts
It would make no since to use a different paint for the second coat!

Old 04-18-17, 01:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 51 Posts
Paint and primer have different jobs. If the paint really contained primer, each would be diluted and neither would do as good a job. Why would anyone use such a product?

By a quality paint without primer in it. Quality paints tend to come from paint stores, not paint departments.