Bin Oil base primer or not? for the Bathroom

Old 05-28-17, 02:33 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Bin Oil base primer or not? for the Bathroom

Overview:
I just finished repairing a badly damaged ceiling in a bathroom from a leak thru the joint from a skylight. Well since the skylight has been replaced and a thorough job in the joints and seams and no leaking for 10 months or at least no more predicted problems in this area. I did not sheetrock (Yes Greenboard) the whole ceiling since I didn't think I needed it even though is was small bath.

I normally use latex primer indoors however I have used bin/ zinser with success in repainting greasy kitchens. I am just thinking with the humidity build up and having been a damaged area in the roof would it be beneficial using Bin as a preventive measure? I think so?
thanks

Old 05-28-17, 03:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 900 Votes on 826 Posts
You dont generally want to use oil primers indoors because of the odor and the fact that it raises the hairs on bare / new drywall. But it is similar to "original" Kilz, and is a good stain blocking primer. If you have stains to cover, especially waterbased stains, such as from a roof leak or nicotine (smokers) it would be good. If not, any primer or ceiling white paint would work just fine.

You always want to lightly sand before/ between coats to knock off any nibs on the surface.

Old 05-28-17, 05:25 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Old 05-28-17, 05:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 900 Votes on 826 Posts
Don't confuse Zinsser Cover Stain (oil based) with Zinsser BIN... (pigmented shellac). Both good products, but clearly different. Just noticed you said BIN "oil based" above, which is a misnomer.

Old 05-29-17, 03:03 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Ya, BIN a pigmented shellac is an alcohol based primer which has better stain hiding qualities than oil base primers. For the most part latex primers have poor or short term stain hiding. I would never depend on a latex primer to hide water stains.

Old 05-29-17, 07:19 AM
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
I used Zinsser BIN shellac primer on my kitchen cabinets and all the trim. The odor was not bad at all except when I got to small areas and corners, so I wound up buying a mask ($30) that worked great. I thought that primer was awesome - I would use it again without hesitation.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: