Behr paint issue?

Old 07-03-17, 10:00 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Behr paint issue?

My GF decided to purchase some behr paint last week from the Depot because of a sale they were having for the 4th. We are both on our third home and have exclusively used Sherwin Williams in the past and no means am I a pro painter so I'm not sure if it is a paint issue or whether I possibly did something wrong?

In the last week we have gone through three different colors and none of them came out true to the swatch. We are painting over a light cream colored wall in our bathroom and did not use primer the first two times. After not getting the results after those two times I decided to try a behr primer and still a drastic difference per swatch. I rolled one coat of primer and two coats of top paint.

Ive done all my painting in my first two homes and this current paint project is the first in the current house and I can honestly say I've never had issues with Sherwin Williams in the past.

If was suggested that it could be the lighting so I changed out the bulbs and looked at it in morning afternoon and at night and there is very little difference between the two. Based on what I've done, it def is not a light issue.

What gives?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-17, 11:34 AM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
What color are you trying to paint as your finish topcoat? Certain colors are notorious for difficulty getting color saturation. Have you tried putting some color on the actual paint swatch to see if it matches?

Old 07-03-17, 11:40 AM
D
The actual color is called campfire ash. Which is in a light tan family. I will dab some paint on the actual swatch and see how it turns out. On the wall it came out lighter than swatch

Old 07-03-17, 12:17 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 319 Votes on 283 Posts
Painting a portion of the swatch is the only way to tel for sure if the color was mixed consistent with the sample. Lighting and less than full coverage can affect how it appears on the wall.

Old 07-03-17, 12:26 PM
Received 370 Votes on 345 Posts
and have exclusively used Sherwin Williams
It's the paint, you went from a pretty good paint to krap.

There isn't a paint sold at the big box stores that is worth anything, well, maybe a garage.

You said it was on sale, that was what they sell, price point, not quality.

BTW, with good paints you dont need to prime to achieve color, in the long run I'm guessing you didnt save all that much and certainly are not happy with the results!

BTWA, an outstanding paint is Prat & Lambert, last time I bought it was around $50 per gallon, but worth every penny!!

Old 07-03-17, 04:28 PM
I've used quite a bit of Behr paint and never had an issue. Has to have something to do with the walls, how "thirsty" they were not being painted in a while and the base color that you were going over.

Old 07-04-17, 03:38 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The base color that is being painted over should not affect the color of the new paint provided there is full coverage. When the top coat is affected by the underlying coat it is because there isn't complete coverage .... which another coat should fix.

As stated previously the only way to determine if the mixed paint is the same as the sample on the chart is to apply some paint to the swatch.

Old 07-04-17, 09:16 AM
Group Moderator
Received 209 Votes on 185 Posts
Behr has many levels of paint quality. I have found the "Ultra" or higher to perform better then the lower quality. Behr also gets very high marks for a big time independent testing lab, so I would not call it krap.

Old 07-07-17, 11:14 AM
D
Tested paint on the swatch and results differ. Home Depot looking at us like we are crazy. Purchased SW paint and no issues. Bottom line is Berh is not true to color and won't purchase again based on results.

Old 07-07-17, 11:23 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Look at it this way, SWP [or any paint store] is in business specializing in paint sales while a paint dept at the big box is more of a sideline. Also the folks at a paint store are usually better trained and can give better advice, they can also pick the brains of the pros that shop there when needed.

Old 07-10-17, 12:58 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
There are people who like Behr paint. In my 13 years on this site, though, I've seen more horror stories involve that brand than all others combined and, as a result, I've never used it.

Depending on which is nearer where I live at the time, I use Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore paints.

Old 06-07-18, 05:08 PM
O
My wife and I also b ought some Behr Ultra Premium paint/primer to paint our living room with. It's a nice beige color and for the most part it looks great if you look at it straight on. But looking from a side angle with light on it, the coverage looks terrible. You can see roller marks everywhere, unevenness and just an overall crappy look. Don't know if it's the surface, the paint, the tools we're using, or what. Now, last year we had the room gutted with new drywall up, premiered and painted white. So I don't know if that has anything to do with it. We're wondering if we should put some Kilz or other primer over it, then repaint it or just put a third coat on it. Any advice?

Old 06-07-18, 05:45 PM
Received 370 Votes on 345 Posts
In my 13 years on this site, though, I've seen more horror stories involve that brand than all others combined
I stand by my statement, anything Behr is krap!

Old 06-07-18, 06:25 PM
What sheen did you use and what application technique did you employ? If an eggshell finish, it is very influenced by roller stokes and such. Need to roll on and finish every stroke in the same direction, you also have to keep a wet edge. If using an 8" roller, sometimes difficult to do, especially if the walls are thirsty and soak up the paint as it is applied. Personally, paint + primer I think is a gimmick and doesn't replace the need to prime before painting.

Old 06-07-18, 09:29 PM
O
We used a satin sheen. Most of our roller moves were up and down, though I did some from side to side and that probably did not help. But I've painted that way for years and it was never a problem. Should we put a primer over what we've done, then repaint over that? Or is just putting a third coat going to help.

Old 06-08-18, 03:06 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
It's doubtful primer would help. I don't have much experience with Behr coatings but it sure sounds like not enough paint was applied. Flats are more forgiving than enamels.

I'd apply another coat making sure it's applied evenly up and down. I generally apply a heavy coat with one full stripe, then apply the next stripe and with the now drier roller go over the first stripe.