Latex over Enamel?

Old 05-02-01, 12:05 PM
EDDorsey
Visiting Guest
I have a 5 year old home. During a new flooring project, (tile) we replaced the baseboards. The builder had given us a small can of touch-up paint, an alkyd enamel. There was not enough paint to complete the new baseboards, so I painted a small piece of the baseboard with the enamel, and took it to the local home improvement store for a color match. I had them mix up a gallon, but in a latex instead, for easy cleanup and dry time. Now that the new baseboards are in, the color doesn't match the old door trim, etc., as (I guess) the enamel has yellowed with time!

My question is, can I paint over the existing enamel paint with the latex so that all my trim matches? Do I need to put a primer on first? (I have a gallon of that, too).

Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-01, 09:40 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
EDDorsey, Do prime all oil based trim with the oil primer. If not the latex will not bond...Mike

Old 05-03-01, 06:50 AM
EDDorsey
Visiting Guest
Mike, thanks for the response, but i don't think the primer is oil-based, I bought it to prime bare wood prior to painting with latex.

Can I just rough up the oil-based paint with sandpaper and then paint with latex?

Old 05-04-01, 07:25 AM
Visiting Guest
Yes, you can do as you suggestted. If you have a glossy finish, rough it up to give a flat finish and then you can go over with a latex. The rough finish will give you some mechanical adhesion which will work for you.

Old 05-04-01, 02:38 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
EDDorsey, If a may bond situation is good enough for you go ahead with the latex over oil. I have been through this to many times. Don't risk it!.......Mike

Old 05-06-01, 04:51 AM
Sonnie Layne
Visiting Guest
Glad the tile went well, but I'd use an oil primer rated for use under latex. Sanding is fine for older alkyd finishes which have cured completely. If the house is only 5 years old, I'd have to question that they used alkyd paint, but it's possible. With so many issues, use a primer as recommended and you'll have one less worry.

Old 05-07-01, 07:00 AM
EDDorsey
Visiting Guest
Sonnie, I am pretty sure they used an alkyd enamel for the baseboards because the touch-up paint can says that's what it is. (Actually, we got six different kinds of touch-up paint for all the various areas of the house!)

Thanks for your suggestions, I will look for an oil primer for use under latex.

Old 05-10-01, 11:18 AM
Visiting Guest
Keep a quart of Kilz around for times like this. It is a oil-based shellac stain killer, primer/sealer.

Kilz2 is latex based and has not shown me its worth.

Old 05-18-01, 06:53 AM
lenora
Visiting Guest
primer

what is "gripper"

is it better than kilz?

Old 05-18-01, 07:45 PM
Sonnie Layne
Visiting Guest
Lots of things are better than Kilz.

Don't have a six line advertisement to back it up, sorry.