Peeling/Bubbling Paint

Old 07-17-17, 09:46 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Peeling/Bubbling Paint

I recently purchased a house and am in the process of painting before I move in. I have run into a couple of issues and am open to any suggestions or advice that anyone has. Had no problems in the kitchen, then moved on to the downstairs bedrooms. Started painting the ceiling and it started to bubble, the new paint wouldn't stick. Long story short, had the same issues with the walls. I attempted to apply primer to the walls, but that wouldn't stick/penetrate either. Ended up having to scrape and peel the old paint off the entire room. It appears that the room was re done at some point, because there was only the one coat of paint on what looks like fairly new sheetrock. I have a feeling i will run into the same problem in the other bedroom and am looking for any help in regards to what i can do, if anything, to avoid having to strip the old paint off the walls. Is there a special type of primer that will penetrate the paint? Also, the only place where the old paint didn't peel off in fairly large pieces was where the drywall joints/seams were. It seemed to stick fairly well in those areas and is very difficult to chip off with a putty knife. Thank you in advance for any and all help!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-17, 11:58 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Sounds like surface contamination to me. I would clean the walls first and see what happens (be sure to remove all residue of any cleaning product or solvent). If you want to be paranoid, you could apply an oil based primer between the cleaning and the painting.

Old 07-17-17, 12:01 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
Zinnser sells a Peel Stop primer that might work [I've not used it]

Can you tell if it's just paint that is peeling or is it texture under the paint peeling?