White paint over gray primer?

Old 07-17-17, 02:29 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
White paint over gray primer?

So I made the mistake of getting tinted gray primer to go under white ceiling paint. I thought it would make it easier to see where I had covered with the paint.

The tint was VERY gray an 3 coats of white flat paint later I am still seeing significant uneven areas....

I am wondering if this is something where the gray will pretty much always bleed through and I need to just bite the bullet, lay down another layer of white primer and go from there or should 3 coats have done it?

It's a flat ceiling so I am wondering if getting it really smoothly evenly smooth all over is just not possible?

Old 07-17-17, 02:33 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
3 coats should have covered it although ceiling paints don't always cover the best. Have you give it plenty of time to dry? Often primed patches will take longer to dry than unprimed .... which makes those spots show but they shouldn't after a day or so.

Ceilings can be problematic with touch up because of the angle of sight. You should be able to just prime those areas and then repaint the ceiling [if it doesn't touch up well]

Old 07-17-17, 03:27 PM
D
Thanks, yeah I am not using premium paint for the ceiling which maybe I should.

I have let it dry for a couple of days and it's pretty hot so I can't imagine it hasn't fully cured.

The problem is it's not just a spot or two, it's all over... at first I thought I just wasn't doing a good job of getting an even heavy coat on but I laid the last coat on really thick and it's still happening although I think less.

It feels like the gray is bleeding through depending on exactly how thick the paint is in any given area... but after 3 coats if it's still happening it feels like maybe it's just going to happen forever...

Old 07-17-17, 06:07 PM
Received 488 Votes on 452 Posts
I am not using premium paint for the ceiling which maybe I should.
So guessing you just answered the question for yourself.

Want a flawless ceiling paint? Go pick up some Pratt and Lambert Skylight, a bit pricey but so is multiple coats of cheap paint and still not happy with the results.

Old 07-18-17, 02:09 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree a better grade of paint should be the fix.

Old 07-18-17, 06:57 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
I disagree about the paint being cured, especially since you say you put the last layer on very thick. Personally, I would give it a few more days before doing anything else.

Old 07-19-17, 01:41 PM
D
Thanks, it's been a couple of days now so if it hasn't gotten obviously better by the weekend I will be throwing up a coat of white primer and then a better quality white paint

Old 07-19-17, 01:57 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The primer probably isn't necessary but better safe than sorry!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: