Sealer recommendation for kid's table

Old 07-24-17, 08:27 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Sealer recommendation for kid's table

I just bought a small unfinished table that will be an activity table for my kid. The plan is to stain it Weathered Gray (with a little brown mixed in) and then seal it.

My problem is you can fit my sealing experience into a thimble and I always seem to chose the wrong one. So I'm open to recommendations - I'd like something that will potentially stand up against repeated banging from a one-year-old and ideally won't yellow the finish.

Any suggestions are really appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-17, 04:01 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
Oil base poly [or varnish] will deepen the colors naturally in the wood and will yellow over time. Water based poly doesn't change the look any other than give it a sheen and will not yellow. Oil base is more durable than water based. It will take 2-3 coats of poly to get a decent finish, sand and remove dust between coats.

Old 07-25-17, 04:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
I generally use water based poly. i find it easier to use is to thin to about 50 - 50 mix with water. Spreads well with less bubbles. If you use oil based I do the same but with thinner. My problem with poly is streaks and bubbles thinning it seams to help. may have to use extra coat to get thickness you want.

Old 07-25-17, 05:30 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
IMO thinning any coating 50% is too much. Most coating manufactures don't recommend thinning more than 10%. Using a quality brush tailored for the job/coating and sanding between coats goes a long ways toward to eliminating or reducing brush marks. Bubbles in poly are usually caused by either shaking the poly or stirring it over aggressively.

Old 07-25-17, 09:15 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Oil based poly is my go-to finish, applied as Mark relayed. If you're adamant about not changing the color, then water based poly. I don't thin either kind when using.

Old 07-25-17, 11:51 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool, thanks for all the helpful info. Since the table top has a larger surface area, you think it would be better to apply with a roller instead of a brush?

Old 07-25-17, 12:36 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I suppose you could. That said, I don't recall ever seeing someone pour poly into a roller pan....

I typically apply with a brush or, on smaller projects, a rag.

Old 07-25-17, 01:02 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Generally a brush will give a nicer finish but those with poor brushing skills often do better with a roller.