Removing Solid Color Stain from Stamped Concrete

Old 10-10-17, 10:43 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing Solid Color Stain from Stamped Concrete

Hi All!
I am at my wits end and was hoping someone could offer some guidance.

I spent a day using a product H&C Color Top Solid Color Concrete Stain on my stamped concrete patio, but after we were done, it was not the right product. We were hoping for more of a semi-transparent look. I'm new to this and clearly I chose the wrong product. This went on more like a paint, not a stain.

Anyway, I would like to use semi transparent stain instead, but my question is HOW DO I GET THIS STUFF OFF? I tried a pressure washer (2300psi), but only small parts were coming up.

Does anyone recommend a cement stain stripper that would work to get it off my patio? Its only been on there for about 4 days or so.

THANK YOU for any help you can provide...
Tim

Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-17, 01:01 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 319 Votes on 283 Posts
Welcome to the forums Tim!

Is it the solvent based H&C stain? if so Xylene might allow you to scrub it off, otherwise you'd need a paint stripper.

Old 10-12-17, 12:26 PM
L
Thank you for responding. The stain is water based... I wonder the best method of "scrubbing it off". Just old fashioned elbow grease? Or is there a tool that I should use to expedite the scrubbing? Just curious what "the pros" would use if you had to get this off...

Thanks again for your insight!

Old 10-12-17, 12:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 675 Votes on 624 Posts
Paint stripper... follow the directions and leave it sit, then power washer. Might need to do it twice if once doesn't cut it.

Old 10-12-17, 12:46 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Xylene won't do a lot with the waterbased stain, I agree with using a stripper. Scrubbing with denatured alcohol would probably work but a paint stripper would be quicker/easier.

Old 10-12-17, 03:32 PM
Received 370 Votes on 345 Posts
Latex stripper??

Other than Goof Off for small spots I dont recall ever seeing something for large areas unlike stripper for car paint.

Problem as you have seen, concrete is pourus and the paint soaked in.

I was thinking pressure washer but you tried, did you use a small tip?

Old 10-13-17, 02:41 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Paint strippers should work on latex coatings just as they do for solvent based coatings. I'd be leery of using a zero trip. While it is more effective, it's easy to put 'stripes' in the concrete - both from not removing the stain evenly and possibly etching the concrete.

Old 10-13-17, 06:23 AM
L
I did use my pressure washer, and yes it was coming up, but it was at the smallest stream setting, and extremely slow going. It's a 2300psi machine. It took off a few inches in about 5-10 minutes which is not really efficient. However, that was just the pressure washer only, and no chemical like xylene setting on it.

I could try and let paint stripper set for a while, and the try and scrub with a wire brush and pressure wash. I guess I am still not sure what product or method would be the most effective.

Is there a specific kind or brand of paint stripper or xylene you would recommend? I was also thinking of getting some type of "mechanical spinning wire brush" and attaching to a drill or something...

Trying to think of the best way to go about this... I have about a12x12 section left, along with parts of the concrete stairs.

Old 10-13-17, 08:30 AM
Received 370 Votes on 345 Posts
One very interesting use for toluene and xylene is to soften latex paint. Using a dampened cloth (and solvent-resistant gloves) you can easily remove latex paint that has spattered off a paint roller, or even a full coat of latex paint, from any finish except water-based finish, without causing any damage to the underlying finish. In fact, the products sold specifically to do this, “Oops!” and “Goof-Off,” are principally xylene.
So Goof off and Xylene are the same thing.

I've cleaned small spots with this and it's slow going, I can not imagine doing a 12x12 area.

Any kind of mechanical cleaning is likely to damage the surface of the concrete, you wont be able to use any type of transparent stain afterward.

Might just need to live with it!

Old 10-13-17, 10:29 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
In fact, the products sold specifically to do this, “Oops!” and “Goof-Off,” are principally xylene.

So Goof off and Xylene are the same thing.
I'm not sure that is correct. I don't know the chemical makeup of goof off or oops but would expect it to be more along the lines of denatured alcohol.

Forget about xylene, while it will dissolve H&C's solvent based stains it isn't the proper product for latex/waterborne. I don't do a lot of stripping so when that type of job comes up I usually discuss it with the paint rep at the store and he'll recommend which stripper to use.

Old 10-13-17, 06:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 675 Votes on 624 Posts
I'm not sure what you are imagining... but if the product you are trying to take off went on like a paint, you will apply stripper to a small section, maybe 4x4... wait the proscribed amount of time... then blast it off with the power washer. I doubt that there will be any scrubbing involved. Then move to the next section. And you might need to do it twice.

Old 10-14-17, 03:04 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
You should be able to do a larger section at a time but you'll be able to figure out what works best as you get into it. While with paint you'd normally scrape after the stripper has worked for the prescribed time period you shouldn't need to do any scraping with this job, pressure washing should be enough once the stripper has bubbled up the stain.