Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Did a slight amount of damage to a wall and need to fix it.

11-13-17, 09:22 PM   #1 (permalink)  
Did a slight amount of damage to a wall and need to fix it.

I tried to hang out something with one of those "wall-safe" hanging strips, but I then quickly had second thoughts and tried to remove, only for a small chunk of paint and drywall to come loose. I'm renting here and I live with my landlord, so I'd want to get this fixed as soon as possible, since it was my fault. I've been looking up information online and any help would be reassuring, as this is my first time doing anything like this. I've added a couple of photos of what happened.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

11-14-17, 04:05 AM   #2 (permalink)  
Ideally you'd coat the exposed gypsum with either an oil base primer or Zinnser's Gardz first but not bigger that it is I'd be tempted to skip that step. You need to fill the divot with joint compound or spackling, let it dry, recoat if needed, sand level, prime and paint.
Do you know what brand and color was used on the wall?

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

11-14-17, 05:05 AM   #3 (permalink)  
When would I put on the waterproofing? Would it be the first step.

Also, there are several cans of paint downstairs. I think one of them was used in this room. If I can't find, I'll take the chips I have to Home Depot or something to have them match it.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

11-14-17, 05:30 AM   #4 (permalink)  
What waterproofing??
Getting paint matched by a competitor will get the color matched but that doesn't mean that paint will touch up. It's hard enough to get a touch up to blend when the right paint is used and next to impossible when it's the wrong paint. Each manufacture will have slight variances in the sheen that will show up when the wrong paint is used in the middle of a wall. It would be best to keep your landlord in the loop. His info can go along ways toward keeping this a minor repair versus growing into a larger job.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Forum Topic Moderator

CAL

11-14-17, 05:59 AM   #5 (permalink)  
A few more tips. I would buy a small tub of wall joint compound, the spackle is hard to keep in such a shallow area.

Fill the area with a putty knife. Let it dry a little and use a sponge to try to match the texture.
You can wipe off the compound with a wet sponge if you need to give it several attempts.

Brian

California Licensed Contractor

11-14-17, 06:33 AM   #6 (permalink)  
I did manage to find the paint in the basement

VA

11-14-17, 08:38 PM   #7 (permalink)  
One thing i've found- paint applied with a brush, in the middle of a wall painted with a roller, will be noticeable because of the difference in texture. It may almost look like a different color. So apply your touchup paint with a roller if the rest of the wall was rolled. Good luck!

Search this Thread