Expiration time for unpainted exterior primer

Old 11-16-17, 06:27 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Expiration time for unpainted exterior primer

I sanded and primed my detached garage with the brand Bulls Eye 1-2-3 Primer(4 gallons) about a month ago and I had planned to follow up with the top coat right away but between rain and unusually cold temps at night, I was not able to paint it yet. Has anyone had issues with primer being left on too long without a top coat? I may have to wait until spring now, so will I have to reapply another entire coat of primer or do anything before painting? I did email Rust-oleum who makes that particular primer, and they replied with "if you have to wait until spring, just look closely for any areas that might be compromised or flaking/peeling and recoat those areas" so apparently they feel the existing primer will be fine to paint over. Thanks for any insight.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-17, 02:11 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 271 Votes on 240 Posts
Most primer manufactures state the prime should be painted over within 30 days but I have gone further occasionally. When you get ready to paint - check the primer. If it's chalky or peeling you'll need to sand and reprime. Primer will also get dirtier than paint but that shouldn't be a big issue.